1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that the function given with f(x) is a PDF

1. May 28, 2014 #1
    Hi,
    Could someone help me prove that the function given with
    ##f(x) = \binom{x-1}{r-1} p^{r}(1-p)^{x-r}## is a probability density function, where ## x= r, r+1,..., \infty ## and ## 0<p<1 ##

I thought to solve it somehow by using the binomial theorem, but since it's the upper part that's changing on the binomial coefficients, this proved futile.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2014 #2
    Let's start simple:

Can you prove that the value is always larger than zero?

4. May 28, 2014 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Use ## instead of $ for inline LaTeX.

5. May 28, 2014 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

You need to show that [tex]\sum_{x=r}^\infty \binom{x-1}{r-1} p^r (1-p)^{x-r} = 1.[/tex] Setting [itex]q = 1- p[/itex] and [itex]m = x - r[/itex] gives [tex]
    \sum_{x=r}^\infty \binom{x-1}{r-1} p^r (1-p)^{x-r}
    = (1 - q)^r \sum_{m=0}^\infty \frac{(m + r - 1)!}{(r-1)!m!}q^m.[/tex] What does the series on the right have to equal if the left hand side is to equal 1, and can you prove that it does?

6. May 28, 2014 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For discrete random variables, I prefer to use symbols like ##j## and ##k## instead of ##x##. So, in this notation: what properties must be possessed by
    [tex]f_k = {k-1 \choose r-1} p^r (1-p)^{k-r}, \, k = r, r+1, r+2, \ldots [/tex]
    in order that it be a legitimate probability mass function of a discrete random variable? Note that ##f_k## is NOT a probability density function; it is a probability mass function. There is a world of difference!

7. May 28, 2014 #6
    Hi, thanks for the reply .
    It must equal 1. Though I have no idea how to prove it.
    Thanks, I had the terminology mixed up.
    To be a probability mass function , ##f_k## has to be positive, and the sum over all ## k ## has to be 1.
    It's easy to see that ##f_k## is positive, but I cannot seem to prove the second property

8. May 29, 2014 #7

pasmith

Homework Helper

Remember, you need to show that
    [tex]
    (1 -q)^r \sum_{m=0}^\infty \frac{(m + r - 1)!}{(r-1)!m!}q^m = 1
    [/tex] for every [itex]0 < q < 1[/itex]. This suggests that the series [tex]\sum_{m=0}^\infty \frac{(m + r - 1)!}{(r-1)!m!}q^m[/tex] must be the binomial expansion of ... what function of [itex]q[/itex]?

9. May 29, 2014 #8
    ## \frac{1}{(1 -q)^r } ##
    But how would I prove that ?
    ---
    Edit:
    I checked a wikipedia article about binomial series, and it turns out that the series [tex]\sum_{m=0}^\infty \frac{(m + r - 1)!}{(r-1)!m!}q^m[/tex] is of this form , where ##β= r-1## and ##z=q##

Thanks for the help :)
    Though, is there any other way to prove it, without directly using the formula ?

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  10. May 29, 2014 #9

pasmith

Homework Helper

Ultimately the only way to sum power series is to relate them to power series of known functions.

There are other ways of showing that [itex]\sum_{m=0}^\infty \frac{(m + r - 1)!}{(r-1)!m!}q^m = (1 - q)^{-r}[/itex]. For example, using the formula [tex]
    \frac{d^k}{dx^k} \left( \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_n x^n \right)
    = \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_{n+k} \frac{(n + k)!}{n!} x^n[/tex] we see that [tex]
    \sum_{m=0}^\infty \frac{(m + r - 1)!}{(r-1)!m!}q^m = \frac{1}{(r - 1)!} \frac{d^{r-1}}{dq^{r-1}} \left( \sum_{m=0}^\infty q^m \right).[/tex] [itex]\sum_{m=0}^\infty q^m[/itex] is a geometric series and is easily summed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted