1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that the range of h is the entire R

1. May 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The function [itex]h: \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] is continuous on [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] and let [itex]h(\mathbb{R})=\left\{ {h(x):x \in \mathbb{R}} \right\}[/itex] be the range of [itex]h[/itex]. Prove that if [itex]h(\mathbb{R})[/itex] is not bounded above and not bounded below, then [itex]h(\mathbb{R})=\mathbb{R}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, this problem sounds so intuitive I don't know how to prove it. The only thing I can write down here is there exists a [itex]M > 0[/itex] s.t [itex]|h(x)|> M[/itex] for all real [itex]x[/itex].

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

For some y, can you show that some smaller value and some larger value have to be in the range of h? Afterwards, the solution is just 1 step away.

4. May 1, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Let y be any number. Since y is not an upper bound for f, there exist Y1>y such that Y1= f(x1) for some x1 Since y is not a lower bound for f, the exist Y2< y such that Y2= f(x2) for some x2. Now use the "intermediate value property.

5. May 1, 2013 #4
    Thank you both for the great help. So let me continue from HallsofIvy's hint: By the IVT, there exists a real number [itex]x[/itex] such that [itex]h(x)=y[/itex]. Since [itex]y[/itex] was arbitrary, [itex]h(x)=\mathbb{R}[/itex]. Is that right?

6. May 1, 2013 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

##\{h(x)|x \in \mathbb{R}\}=\mathbb{R}##. h(x) is a single number.
    Apart from that: right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted