Prove that the sum is equal to -1.

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
Recall that $\text{ord}_p(x)$ is by definition the highest power of $p$ which divides $x$ when $x\in \Bbb Z$ and $\text{ord}_p(a) - \text{ord}_p(b)$ when $x$ is of the form $\frac{a}{b}$, $a, b\in \Bbb Z$, $b \neq 0$. So in the case $x = \frac{n}{p^2}$, we have by definition $\text{ord}_p(x) = \text{ord}_p(n) - \text{ord}_p(p^2)$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Smile)

I want to prove that at the field $\mathbb{Q}_p$, where $p$ is a prime, it stands:

$$-1=\sum_{0}^{\infty} (p-1)p^i$$

That's what I have tried so far:$$-1=\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}(p-1)p^i =(p-1)+(p-1)p+(p-1)p^2+\dots \\ \Rightarrow 1-1=1+p-1+p^2-p+p^2-p^2+\dots \\ \Rightarrow 0=(1-1)+(p-p)+(p^2-p^2)+\dots$$

How can I continue? (Thinking)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Smile)

I want to prove that at the field $\mathbb{Q}_p$, where $p$ is a prime, it stands:

$$-1=\sum_{0}^{\infty} (p-1)p^i$$

That's what I have tried so far:$$-1=\sum_{i=0}^{\infty}(p-1)p^i =(p-1)+(p-1)p+(p-1)p^2+\dots \\ \Rightarrow 1-1=1+p-1+p^2-p+p^2-p^2+\dots \\ \Rightarrow 0=(1-1)+(p-p)+(p^2-p^2)+\dots$$

How can I continue? (Thinking)

Hi evinda,

I think you're misunderstanding the meaning of the equation $-1 = \sum_0^\infty (p-1)p^i$. This is an equation in $\Bbb Q_p$, so to show that the formula holds, you need to prove

\(\displaystyle \left|\sum_0^N (p-1)p^i - (-1)\right|_p \to 0\) as \(\displaystyle N \to \infty.\)

Here, $|\cdot|_p$ denotes the $p$-adic norm on $\Bbb Q_p$. For all nonnegative integers $N$,

\(\displaystyle \sum_0^N (p - 1)p^i = \sum_0^N (p^{i+1} - p^i) = p^{N+1} - 1.\)

Hence,

\(\displaystyle \left|\sum_0^N (p-1)p^i - (-1)\right|_p = |p^{N+1}|_p = p^{-(N+1)} \to 0\) as \(\displaystyle N \to \infty.\)

Euge said:
Hi evinda,

I think you're misunderstanding the meaning of the equation $-1 = \sum_0^\infty (p-1)p^i$. This is an equation in $\Bbb Q_p$, so to show that the formula holds, you need to prove

\(\displaystyle \left|\sum_0^N (p-1)p^i - (-1)\right|_p \to 0\) as \(\displaystyle N \to \infty.\)

Here, $|\cdot|_p$ denotes the $p$-adic norm on $\Bbb Q_p$. For all nonnegative integers $N$,

\(\displaystyle \sum_0^N (p - 1)p^i = \sum_0^N (p^{i+1} - p^i) = p^{N+1} - 1.\)

Hence,

\(\displaystyle \left|\sum_0^N (p-1)p^i - (-1)\right|_p = |p^{N+1}|_p = p^{-(N+1)} \to 0\) as \(\displaystyle N \to \infty.\)

So, do we use this definition?

A $p-$ norm of $\mathbb{Q}_p$ is a function $||_p: \mathbb{Q}_p \to \mathbb{R}$

$$x \neq 0, x=p^{w_p(x)}u \mapsto p^{-w_p(x)}$$

$$\text{ For } x=0 \Leftrightarrow w_p(x)=\infty \\ p^{-\infty}=:0$$

Is so, is it $w_p(x)=N+1$ and $u=1$ ? (Worried)

evinda said:
So, do we use this definition?

A $p-$ norm of $\mathbb{Q}_p$ is a function $||_p: \mathbb{Q}_p \to \mathbb{R}$

$$x \neq 0, x=p^{w_p(x)}u \mapsto p^{-w_p(x)}$$

$$\text{ For } x=0 \Leftrightarrow w_p(x)=\infty \\ p^{-\infty}=:0$$

Is so, is it $w_p(x)=N+1$ and $u=1$ ? (Worried)

The $p$-adic norm on $\Bbb Q_p$ is defined by a map $|\cdot|_p : \Bbb Q \to \{p^n\, |\, n\in \Bbb Z\} \cup \{0\}$ such that $|0|_p = 0$ and $|x|_p = p^{-\text{ord}_p(x)}$ for $x \neq 0$. When $x = p^{N+1}$, $\text{ord}_p(x) = N+1$ and thus $|x|_p = p^{-(N+1)}$.

Euge said:
The $p$-adic norm on $\Bbb Q_p$ is defined by a map $|\cdot|_p : \Bbb Q \to \{p^n\, |\, n\in \Bbb Z\} \cup \{0\}$ such that $|0|_p = 0$ and $|x|_p = p^{-\text{ord}_p(x)}$ for $x \neq 0$. When $x = p^{N+1}$, $\text{ord}_p(x) = N+1$ and thus $|x|_p = p^{-(N+1)}$.

I understand! (Nod) Could you also give me an other example, with an other $x$, at which I can use the difinition of the $p-$adic norm? (Thinking)

evinda said:
I understand! (Nod) Could you also give me an other example, with an other $x$, at which I can use the difinition of the $p-$adic norm? (Thinking)

Sure. Let $p$ be a prime and let $n$ be an integer not divisible by $p$. Set $x = \frac{n}{p^2}$. Then

\(\displaystyle \text{ord}_p(x) = \text{ord}_p(n) - \text{ord}_p(p^2) = 0 - 2 = -2.\)

Hence, $|x|_p = p^{-\text{ord}_p(x)} = p^2$.

Euge said:
Sure. Let $p$ be a prime and let $n$ be an integer not divisible by $p$. Set $x = \frac{n}{p^2}$. Then

\(\displaystyle \text{ord}_p(x) = \text{ord}_p(n) - \text{ord}_p(p^2) = 0 - 2 = -2.\)

Hence, $|x|_p = p^{-\text{ord}_p(x)} = p^2$.

Why do we take the difference $\text{ord}_p(n) - \text{ord}_p(p^2)$ ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Why do we take the difference $\text{ord}_p(n) - \text{ord}_p(p^2)$ ? (Thinking)

Recall that $\text{ord}_p(x)$ is by definition the highest power of $p$ which divides $x$ when $x\in \Bbb Z$ and $\text{ord}_p(a) - \text{ord}_p(b)$ when $x$ is of the form $\frac{a}{b}$, $a, b\in \Bbb Z$, $b \neq 0$. So in the case $x = \frac{n}{p^2}$, we have by definition $\text{ord}_p(x) = \text{ord}_p(n) - \text{ord}_p(p^2)$.

1. How do you prove that the sum is equal to -1?

To prove that the sum is equal to -1, we need to use mathematical equations and properties to manipulate the sum and show that it simplifies to -1. This can involve using algebra, substitution, and other techniques to arrive at the desired result.

2. What is the significance of proving that the sum is equal to -1?

Proving that the sum is equal to -1 can have various implications depending on the context. In mathematics, it may help to solve equations or understand the behavior of certain functions. In physics, it may help to explain certain phenomena or validate theories. In general, it is a way to confirm the accuracy and validity of mathematical statements.

3. Can you provide an example of how to prove that the sum is equal to -1?

Sure, let's take the sum 2 + (-3). We can rewrite -3 as -1 - 2, which gives us 2 + (-1) - 2. Using the associative property, we can group the terms as (2-2) + (-1), which simplifies to 0 + (-1). Finally, using the identity property, we get -1 as the sum, proving that 2 + (-3) is equal to -1.

4. Are there any specific rules or properties that must be used to prove the sum is equal to -1?

There are various rules and properties that can be used to prove the sum is equal to -1. Some common ones include the associative property, identity property, and distributive property. However, the specific techniques used will depend on the given sum and the desired result.

5. Is it possible for the sum to be equal to -1 without proving it?

No, in mathematics, we cannot assume that a statement is true without providing evidence or proof. Therefore, to claim that a sum is equal to -1, we must be able to prove it using mathematical reasoning and techniques.