1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove: The Additive Inverse of any vector is unique

1. Oct 6, 2015 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let v, w, ∈ V. Prove that if v + w = 0, then w = -v.
    V is a complex vector space.

2. Relevant equations
    Axioms of a vector space.

3. The attempt at a solution

So, this solution was pretty easy to come up with.
    My question is, have I proven that w = -v or have I simply proven that -v is unique? Let's see:

Proof by contradiction:
    Suppose w and w' are additive inverses of v.
    w
    = w + 0 (By zero addition, axiom)
    w = w + (v + w') (by giving assumption)
    w = (w + v) + w' (by axiom 2 of vector spaces)
    w = w' (by giving assumption, w is additive inverse of v).

Here, we have shown that the additive inverse of v is unique. But does this mean that w = -v as the question seems to state?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2015 #2

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Yes, because from ##\mathbf{v} + \mathbf{w} = \mathbf{0}## it follows that ##\mathbf{w}## is an additive inverse of ##\mathbf{v}##, hence (by uniqueness) the additive inverse of ##\mathbf{v}##. This additive inverse is denoted by ##-\mathbf{v}##, so indeed ##\mathbf{w} = -\mathbf{v}##.

4. Oct 6, 2015 #3

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Excellent, that was the clarification I was looking for here.

Thank you kindly.

5. Oct 6, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your post is not as clear as it should be. From the thread title, you are supposed to prove that a given vector has a unique additive inverse. The problem statement is to prove that if v + w = 0, then w = -v. Those are not the same thing.

In your proof by contradiction you start by assuming that w and w' are additive inverses. To get the contradiction you're looking for, you need to assume that ##w \ne w'##. In the last line of your proof, you have w = w' -- that is the contradiction you're looking for.

6. Oct 6, 2015 #5

RJLiberator

Gold Member

So here is my statement for proof by contradiction:

Suppose w and w' are additive inverses of v, but w ≠ w'.

That last addition makes it more clear what I am trying to show?

I, too, saw this as a problem. The official question asked: "Let v, w, ∈ V. Prove that if v + w = 0, then w = -v. (In other words, the additive inverse of any vector is unique.)

This is why I made this topic, I don't know if what I have shown by contradiction was what I needed to show. I know that what I've shown is that the additive inverse of a vector is unique, but have I truly shown that w=-v?

7. Oct 6, 2015 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Then it seems to me that the problem, as stated, is unclear. The first part (prove that w = -v) is showing that w and v are additive inverses. The second part is proving that the additive inverse is unique.

In a completely unrelated problem, just to show the difference between existence and uniqueness, suppose the question is: Find a 2x2 matrix A such that A2 = 0. An obvious answer is
    $$A = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}$$
    Clearly, a solution to the equation A2 = 0 exists, but is this solution unique? No, since
    $$A = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}$$
    is also a solution to A2 = 0, among many others.

8. Oct 6, 2015 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I think your original proof is fine; it's just not a proof by contradiction.

You showed that if w and w' are additive inverses of v, then w=w'. That essentially proves the uniqueness of the additive inverse. You could add a follow-up step by taking w' = -v, which you know exists because V is a vector space, so w = -v.

9. Oct 6, 2015 #8

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Thanks for the discussion on this.

I will re-check my wording on the contradiction.
    And I have added w' = -v at the end as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted