Prove: The Additive Inverse of any vector is unique

In summary, we have shown that the additive inverse of any vector is unique. This means that if v + w = 0, then w = -v. We proved this by contradiction, assuming that w and w' are additive inverses of v, but that w ≠ w'. Then, using the axioms of vector spaces, we showed that w = w', which is a contradiction. Thus, w = -v, and the additive inverse of any vector is unique.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let v, w, ∈ V. Prove that if v + w = 0, then w = -v.
V is a complex vector space.

Homework Equations

Axioms of a vector space.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, this solution was pretty easy to come up with.
My question is, have I proven that w = -v or have I simply proven that -v is unique? Let's see:

Proof by contradiction:
Suppose w and w' are additive inverses of v.
w
= w + 0 (By zero addition, axiom)
w = w + (v + w') (by giving assumption)
w = (w + v) + w' (by axiom 2 of vector spaces)
w = w' (by giving assumption, w is additive inverse of v).

Here, we have shown that the additive inverse of v is unique. But does this mean that w = -v as the question seems to state?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, because from ##\mathbf{v} + \mathbf{w} = \mathbf{0}## it follows that ##\mathbf{w}## is an additive inverse of ##\mathbf{v}##, hence (by uniqueness) the additive inverse of ##\mathbf{v}##. This additive inverse is denoted by ##-\mathbf{v}##, so indeed ##\mathbf{w} = -\mathbf{v}##.

Likes RJLiberator
Excellent, that was the clarification I was looking for here.

Thank you kindly.

Likes S.G. Janssens
RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

Let v, w, ∈ V. Prove that if v + w = 0, then w = -v.
V is a complex vector space.

Homework Equations

Axioms of a vector space.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, this solution was pretty easy to come up with.
My question is, have I proven that w = -v or have I simply proven that -v is unique? Let's see:

Proof by contradiction:
Suppose w and w' are additive inverses of v.
w
= w + 0 (By zero addition, axiom)
w = w + (v + w') (by giving assumption)
w = (w + v) + w' (by axiom 2 of vector spaces)
w = w' (by giving assumption, w is additive inverse of v).

Here, we have shown that the additive inverse of v is unique. But does this mean that w = -v as the question seems to state?
Your post is not as clear as it should be. From the thread title, you are supposed to prove that a given vector has a unique additive inverse. The problem statement is to prove that if v + w = 0, then w = -v. Those are not the same thing.

In your proof by contradiction you start by assuming that w and w' are additive inverses. To get the contradiction you're looking for, you need to assume that ##w \ne w'##. In the last line of your proof, you have w = w' -- that is the contradiction you're looking for.

Likes RJLiberator
So here is my statement for proof by contradiction:

Suppose w and w' are additive inverses of v, but w ≠ w'.

That last addition makes it more clear what I am trying to show?

From the thread title, you are supposed to prove that a given vector has a unique additive inverse. The problem statement is to prove that if v + w = 0, then w = -v. Those are not the same thing.

I, too, saw this as a problem. The official question asked: "Let v, w, ∈ V. Prove that if v + w = 0, then w = -v. (In other words, the additive inverse of any vector is unique.)

This is why I made this topic, I don't know if what I have shown by contradiction was what I needed to show. I know that what I've shown is that the additive inverse of a vector is unique, but have I truly shown that w=-v?

RJLiberator said:
I, too, saw this as a problem. The official question asked: "Let v, w, ∈ V. Prove that if v + w = 0, then w = -v. (In other words, the additive inverse of any vector is unique.)
Then it seems to me that the problem, as stated, is unclear. The first part (prove that w = -v) is showing that w and v are additive inverses. The second part is proving that the additive inverse is unique.

In a completely unrelated problem, just to show the difference between existence and uniqueness, suppose the question is: Find a 2x2 matrix A such that A2 = 0. An obvious answer is
$$A = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}$$
Clearly, a solution to the equation A2 = 0 exists, but is this solution unique? No, since
$$A = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 \end{bmatrix}$$
is also a solution to A2 = 0, among many others.

Likes RJLiberator
I think your original proof is fine; it's just not a proof by contradiction.

You showed that if w and w' are additive inverses of v, then w=w'. That essentially proves the uniqueness of the additive inverse. You could add a follow-up step by taking w' = -v, which you know exists because V is a vector space, so w = -v.

Likes RJLiberator
Thanks for the discussion on this.

I will re-check my wording on the contradiction.
And I have added w' = -v at the end as well.

1) What is an additive inverse of a vector?

An additive inverse of a vector is a vector that, when added to the original vector, results in a zero vector. In other words, it is the negative of the original vector.

2) Why is the additive inverse of any vector unique?

The additive inverse of any vector is unique because it is determined by the properties of vector addition. When two vectors are added, the resulting vector must have the same magnitude and direction as their sum. Therefore, the additive inverse of a vector can only be one specific vector that satisfies this condition.

3) How is the uniqueness of the additive inverse proven?

The uniqueness of the additive inverse can be proven using the properties of vector addition and the definition of an additive inverse. By assuming that there are two different additive inverses for a vector, and then showing that they must be the same, we can prove that the additive inverse is unique.

4) Can the uniqueness of the additive inverse be applied to all vectors?

Yes, the uniqueness of the additive inverse can be applied to all vectors, regardless of their magnitude or direction. This is because the properties of vector addition and the definition of an additive inverse hold true for all vectors in a vector space.

5) How is the uniqueness of the additive inverse useful in mathematics and science?

The uniqueness of the additive inverse is a fundamental concept in mathematics and science, particularly in the fields of linear algebra and mechanics. It allows us to perform operations on vectors and prove mathematical theorems with confidence, knowing that the results will always be unique and consistent.