Prove the binomial coefficients are (-1)^n

In summary: Okay so I think I got it now, $$ \binom{n}{k}=\frac{n(n-1)(n-2)\cdots(n-k+2)(n-k+1)}{k!} \\\binom{-1}{n}=\frac{(-1)(-2)(-3)\cdots (-n+1)(-n)}{n!} \\\binom{-1}{n}=\frac{(-1)^n(1)(2)(3)\cdots (n-1)(n)}{n!} \\\binom{-1}{n}=(-1)^n$$
Potatochip911

Homework Statement

Show that the binomial coefficients ## \binom {-1}{n}=(-1)^n##

Homework Equations

##\binom{n}{k}=\frac{n!}{(n-k)!k!} \\
##

The Attempt at a Solution

##-1!=(-1)\cdot 1! \\
-1!=-1 \\
-2!=(-1)^2 \cdot 2! \\
-n!=(-1)^n \cdot n!\\
\mbox{for n=0} \\
LHS=\binom{-1}{0}=\frac{-1!}{(-1!)(0!)}=1 \\
RHS=(-1)^0=1 \\
LHS=RHS \space \mbox{When n=0 therefore it is valid for n=0} \\
\mbox{Assuming it holds for some integer k}\\
\binom{-1}{k}=(-1)^k \\
\mbox{Now trying to prove for k+1} \\
\binom{-1}{k+1}=(-1)^{k+1} \\
LHS=\binom{-1}{k+1}
=\frac{-1!}{[(-1-(k+1)]!(k+1)!}\\
=\frac{-1}{(-k-2)!(k+1)!} \\
=\frac{-1}{(-1)^{k+2}(k+2)!(k+1)!}\\
=\frac{1}{(-1)^{k+1}(k+2)!(k+1)!} ##
So I obviously did something wrong since I didn't get both sides being equal, it probably has to do with how I treated the negative factorials.

Physics news on Phys.org
Factorials are not defined for negative numbers. If you want an analytic continuation you get the Gamma function, but it has poles at negative integers. It is possible you could define it as a limit when ##n \to -1##. In that case, you would get a ratio of residues.

Potatochip911 said:

Homework Statement

Show that the binomial coefficients ## \binom {-1}{n}=(-1)^n##

Homework Equations

##\binom{n}{k}=\frac{n!}{(n-k)!k!} \\
##

That is not the definition of the binomial coefficient for negative ##n##.

Is there a relatively simple method to proving this? I've only taken calc 1, calc 2, and linear algebra so I don't have very much knowledge.

Potatochip911 said:
Is there a relatively simple method to proving this? I've only taken calc 1, calc 2, and linear algebra so I don't have very much knowledge.

Yes there is. Just use the general definition of the binomial:
[tex]\binom{n}{k} = \frac{n(n-1)(n-2)...(n-k+1)}{k!}[/tex]
Plug it in and calculate a little bit.

micromass said:
Yes there is. Just use the general definition of the binomial:
[tex]\binom{n}{k} = \frac{n(n-1)(n-2)...(n-k+1)}{k!}[/tex]
Plug it in and calculate a little bit.
Okay so I think I got it now, $$ \binom{n}{k}=\frac{n(n-1)(n-2)\cdots(n-k+2)(n-k+1)}{k!} \\
\binom{-1}{n}=\frac{(-1)(-2)(-3)\cdots (-n+1)(-n)}{n!} \\
\binom{-1}{n}=\frac{(-1)^n(1)(2)(3)\cdots (n-1)(n)}{n!} \\
\binom{-1}{n}=(-1)^n$$
Thanks that formula helped a lot!

1. What are binomial coefficients?

Binomial coefficients are numbers that represent the coefficients in the expansion of a binomial expression, such as (a + b)^n. They are also known as the choose function, as they represent the number of ways to choose a certain number of items from a larger set.

2. How are binomial coefficients related to (-1)^n?

The relationship between binomial coefficients and (-1)^n is known as the alternating property. When n is an even number, all binomial coefficients will have a positive value. When n is an odd number, the binomial coefficients will alternate between positive and negative values, with the sign determined by the position of the coefficient in the expansion.

3. Why is it important to prove that binomial coefficients are (-1)^n?

Proving the alternating property of binomial coefficients is important because it allows us to simplify complex expressions involving binomial coefficients. By using the alternating property, we can reduce the number of terms in the expansion and make calculations easier.

4. What is the mathematical proof for binomial coefficients being (-1)^n?

The alternating property of binomial coefficients can be proven using mathematical induction. The proof involves showing that the alternating pattern holds for n = 0, and then showing that if the pattern holds for n, it also holds for n+1. This can be done by expanding the binomial expression (1-1)^n+1 for both n and n+1 and comparing the coefficients.

5. Are there any real-world applications for the alternating property of binomial coefficients?

Yes, the alternating property of binomial coefficients has several real-world applications. One example is in the field of probability, where it can be used to calculate the probability of certain events occurring in a given situation. It is also used in the study of statistics, particularly in the analysis of data with a binary outcome (e.g. success/failure or heads/tails).