Prove the following Power Series is monotonic

In summary, we can prove that the function f(x)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^nx^{n}}{(n)^{\frac{3}{2}}} is strictly monotonic on the interval -1 \le x \le 1 by using the ratio test and examining the derivatives. The series converges on the interval [-1,1] and we can check the endpoints separately to confirm this. Additionally, since the function is analytic, it is continuous on this interval and therefore there exists one solution to f(x)=1.5 and f(x)=-0.5.
gipc
[tex]f(x) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^nx^{n}}{(n)^{\frac{3}{2}}}[/tex]

Prove f(x) is strictly monotonic (where f is defined) and that there exists one solution to
f(x)=1.5
and f(x)=-0.5

First, how do I show that the radius of convergence is between [tex]-1 \le x \le 1[/tex]?

And then, how do I proceed to show the series is strictly monotonic ?

Physics news on Phys.org
gipc said:
[tex]f(x) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{(-1)^nx^{n}}{(n)^{\frac{3}{2}}}[/tex]

Prove f(x) is strictly monotonic (where f is defined) and that there exists one solution to
f(x)=1.5
and f(x)=-0.5

First, how do I show that the radius of convergence is between [tex]-1 \le x \le 1[/tex]?

And then, how do I proceed to show the series is strictly monotonic ?

Strictly monotonic is when the function is either strictly increasing or decreasing.
r=limn→∞ lan/an+1l

I don't think at all that I can work with that definition in that case.

Maybe work around showing f is single value, I really don't know.

gipc said:
I don't think at all that I can work with that definition in that case.

Maybe work around showing f is single value, I really don't know.

Not too sure why you can't use that limit definition. Alternatively, the max values for f are for even n and min values are for odd n. And, it's easy to see that the sequence is decreasing. (this can be easily proven by ratios of coeffs). So now you can deduce what the max and min values for the series is. These will be in [-1,1].

You are speaking a language I don't understand :(

Why does "the max values for f are for even n and min values are for odd n"?
And what are "ratios of coeffs", how specifically should I show the sequence is decreasing?

And from that, how I deduce the max and min values?I'm sorry for all the questions but unfortunately I know very little of the subject and I'm not on that level yet.

Shaon0 is right in that you can often use the ratio test to find the radius of convergence of a series--however, the formula he gave is wrong, so check out the link I supplied.

The usual way to see if a function is monotonic is to examine its derivative.

Show us your attempt and I'll be happy to give more hints.

I have the ratio test:
[tex]\displaystyle \frac{(-1)^{n+1}x^{n+1}}{(n+1)^{\frac{3}{2}}}\cdot \frac{n^{\frac{3}{2}}}{(-1)^{n}x^{n}}[/tex]

[tex]=\displaystyle \lim_{n\to \infty}\frac{n^{\frac{3}{2}}|x|}{(n+1)^{\frac{3}{2}}}=|x|[/tex]

why does r=[-1,1] and not (-1,1)?

And the derivative:

[tex]f'(x) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{(-1)^n x^{n-1}}{n^{1/2}} = -1 + \frac x{\sqrt2} - \frac{x^2}{\sqrt3} + \frac{x^3}{\sqrt 4} - \frac{x^4}{\sqrt5} + \ldots .[/tex]

How from here how do I show f is monotonic and that there exists one solution to
f(x)=1.5?

gipc said:
I have the ratio test:
[tex]\displaystyle \frac{(-1)^{n+1}x^{n+1}}{(n+1)^{\frac{3}{2}}}\cdot \frac{n^{\frac{3}{2}}}{(-1)^{n}x^{n}}[/tex]

[tex]=\displaystyle \lim_{n\to \infty}\frac{n^{\frac{3}{2}}|x|}{(n+1)^{\frac{3}{2}}}=|x|[/tex]

why does r=[-1,1] and not (-1,1)?
Read again what conclusions you can draw from the ratio test. You probably will have to check the endpoints of the interval of convergence separately, as they usually correspond to the case where the ratio test is inconclusive.

And the derivative:

[tex]f'(x) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty\frac{(-1)^n x^{n-1}}{n^{1/2}} = -1 + \frac x{\sqrt2} - \frac{x^2}{\sqrt3} + \frac{x^3}{\sqrt 4} - \frac{x^4}{\sqrt5} + \ldots .[/tex]

How from here how do I show f is monotonic and that there exists one solution to
f(x)=1.5?

Your derivative is wrong. You made a silly mistake--with respect to what variable are you differentiating?

What do you mean by "have to check the endpoints of the interval of convergence separately", how precisely do I do that? Sorry but I dodn't remeber the according tool. I though the ratio test was all there is.

And the derivative looks good to me... I double checked.

d/dx.

The derivative does look right to me. To check the end points, substitute x=1 and x=-1 explicitly and look at the convergence of the resulting function. That's the traditional way end points are checked. Remember this when working with power series: the tests for convergence such as the ratio or root test never give information about the convergence of the endpoints, they always have to be checked explicitly.

For the derivative, group the terms like this
[tex]\left(-1 + \frac{x}{\sqrt{2}}\right) + \left(-\frac{x^2}{\sqrt{3}} + \frac{x^3}{\sqrt{4}}\right) + ...[/tex]
since [itex]\|x\|\le 1[/itex] what can you tell me about the sign of this sum?

Finally, if you only need to show that the function exists at 1.5 and -0.5, then that's automatic because the series converges. Explicitly, the function is analytic therefore it is continuous on the interval it is defined.

gipc said:
What do you mean by "have to check the endpoints of the interval of convergence separately", how precisely do I do that? Sorry but I dodn't remeber the according tool. I though the ratio test was all there is.
Just plug the endpoints in for x and see if the series converges or not. But first, what did you get for the radius of convergence?

And there are many tests to determine the convergence/divergence of series.
And the derivative looks good to me... I double checked.

d/dx.
Ah, okay sorry I didn't notice the cancellation.

Thanks for all your help.
I didn't think checking the endpoints was as easy as just plugging in.One lastquestion,
"
Finally, if you only need to show that the function exists at 1.5 and -0.5, then that's automatic because the series converges. Explicitly, the function is analytic therefore it is continuous on the interval it is defined."

I don't understand this, why is this automatic? Even if f is continuous I don't see how that shows that f(x)=1.5 and f(x)=-0.5 and the solotuin is single?

gipc said:
Thanks for all your help.
I didn't think checking the endpoints was as easy as just plugging in.

One lastquestion,
"
Finally, if you only need to show that the function exists at 1.5 and -0.5, then that's automatic because the series converges. Explicitly, the function is analytic therefore it is continuous on the interval it is defined."

I don't understand this, why is this automatic? Even if f is continuous I don't see how that shows that f(x)=1.5 and f(x)=-0.5 and the solotuin is single?

It is single simply because it's monotonous. Suppose there were two solutions, from Rolle's theorem there must be a point where the derivative is 0 which is a contradiction.

Okay, I see, but what guarantees that the solution even exists?

gipc said:
Okay, I see, but what guarantees that the solution even exists?

Like I've mentioned, the solutions exist because the series is convergent at those two values. The limit it converges to is defined as the value of the function. The monoticity of the function guarantees that the solutions are unique.

But how do you know the series is convergent where f(x)=1.5?
It is convergent in [-1,1], how do I take it that there is indeed an x_0 in [-1,1] that satisfies f(x_0)=1.5 and that x_0 is single?

Can i take just any random number 123456 and say that there is some x in [-1,1] that satisfy f(x)=123456?

gipc said:
But how do you know the series is convergent where f(x)=1.5?
It is convergent in [-1,1], how do I take it that there is indeed an x_0 in [-1,1] that satisfies f(x_0)=1.5 and that x_0 is single?

Can i take just any random number 123456 and say that there is some x in [-1,1] that satisfy f(x)=123456?

Ah, true. I missed that point.

The simplest way is to check the end points and verify that f(-1) >= 1.5 and f(1) <= -0.5. It should not be too difficult to do that. After which the fact that f(x)=1.5 and f(x)=-0.5 exists follows from the intermediate value theorem.

1. What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series in the form of ∑an(x-c)^n, where a and c are constants and x is a variable. It is a type of mathematical series used to represent functions as an infinite sum of terms.

2. What does it mean for a power series to be monotonic?

A monotonic power series is one whose terms either always increase or always decrease, as the index increases. In other words, the power series either always rises or always falls as the number of terms increases.

3. How can we prove that a power series is monotonic?

To prove that a power series is monotonic, we can use the ratio test or the root test to determine if the series converges or diverges. If the series converges, we can then use the alternating series test or the first derivative test to show that the terms are either always increasing or always decreasing.

4. What is the importance of proving that a power series is monotonic?

Proving that a power series is monotonic is important because it allows us to determine the behavior of the series and its convergence or divergence. It also helps us to understand the behavior of the function that the series represents, which can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

5. Can a power series be both monotonic and divergent?

No, a power series cannot be both monotonic and divergent. If a power series is monotonic, it must either converge or diverge to a finite limit. If it is divergent, it cannot be monotonic as it would not have a consistent behavior as the number of terms increases.