1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove the sequence has a limit value and find it's limit value

1. Jan 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given the sequence: a(1) = 1, a(n+1)=0,5(a(n)+2/a(n))

n>=1

2. Relevant equations

I have found through speculations that the limit value is SQRT(2).

3. The attempt at a solution

I started by proving that for n>1; a(n+1) < a(n) and also proved that for n>1 the sequence is limited from below, by SQRT(2).

Now I have the conditions for the rule: if a function(or sequence(i think/hope)) f is decreasing, and is limited from below, it has the limit value;

Lim(f) = A when x-->infinity where A = inf(f(x)) where x is close to infinity.

Now the problem, I had two possible routes:

1: Find inf(f), I started by proving that for all n>1, a(n)>=SQRT(2)

then I made a K>SQRT(2) and tried proving that there existed an n+1>1 where a(n)<K, I am not sure of that but I think it can be done by choosing a domain for K and solving it for K, I got for a(n+1):

K-SQRT(k^2-2) < a(n) < K+SQRT(k^2-2) and this is where I was at so far.

2: Find the limit value of a(n) with conventional methods, whatever those are, because I have apparantly done so a year ago when we were yet to explore sup and inf of functions, somehow you are suppost to get;

Lim(f) = SQRT(2) when x-->infinity but I'm not sure how you do that.

If anybody has a good tutorial or explaination on this, or help in general it would be greatly appreciated, I am suppost to give in my maths report tomorrow morning,

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2014 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you have proved that the sequence is decreasing and bounded below, then you know it has a limit L. Now finding what the limit is is easy. If you let n->infinity in a(n+1)=0.5(a(n)+2/a(n)) you get L=0.5(L+2/L). Just solve for L.

4. Jan 26, 2014 #3
    How do you know that when n -> infinity, a(n+1) = a(n) = L getting L=0,5(l+2/L)

Do I just say that infinity + 1 is equal to infinity?

5. Jan 26, 2014 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"infinity + 1" doesn't have much meaning. I definitely wouldn't say it that way. a(n) is the sequence {a(1),a(2),a(3),a(4),...}, a(n+1) is the sequence {a(2),a(3),a(4),...}. They aren't the same sequence but if the limit of a(n) is L, then the limit of a(n+1) is also L, isn't it? Just think about the definition of limit.

6. Jan 26, 2014 #5
    yeah, that explains it well. Can I word it like this; n+1=t-->infinity & n--> infinity, when n-->infinty. So that lim(a(t)) = L & lim(a(n)) = L when n->infinity.

Is this a "clean"/legit wording or should I try to assert what you said in a technical way?

7. Jan 26, 2014 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's one way to say it. Substitute the variable t=n+1. I guess I wouldn't worry about stating it all that formally unless you really have to. It's sort of obvious. I'd just stay away from saying things like "infinity+1=infinity".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted