Prove the sequence is exact: 0 → ker(f) → V → im(f) → 0

In summary, the conversation is about proving the exactness of a sequence in linear operators on a finite-dimensional vector space. The sequence is 0 → ker(f) → V → im(f) → 0 and it is exact at each term if im(a)=ker(b), V if im(b)=ker(c), and im(f) if im(c)=ker(d). The difficulty lies in showing exactness at ker(f) and the solution may depend on how the map b is defined.
Apothem
Problem:
Let f ∶ V → V be a linear operator on a finite-dimensional vector space V .
Prove that the sequence 0 → ker(f) → V → im(f) → 0 is exact at each term.

Attempt:
If I call:
  • a: 0 → ker(f),
  • b: ker(f) → V,
  • c: V → im(f),
  • d: im(f) → 0.
Then the sequence is exact at:
  • ker(f) if im(a)=ker(b),
  • V if im(b)=ker(c),
  • im(f) if im(c)=ker(d).

I can show this for the following:

At im(f):
im(c)={c(v) | v∈V }=im(f)={e∈im(f) | d(e)=0}=ker(d)

At V:
im(b)={b(v) | v∈ker(f)}=ker(f)={e∈V | c(e)=0 ∈ im(f)}=ker(c)

I'm having trouble showing it is exact at ker(f) though. I know that im(a)=0 and ker(b)={v∈ker(f) | b(v)=0 ∈V} however doesn't this mean that ker(b)=ker(f), and so how can I deduce that ker(b)=ker(f)=im(a)=0?

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You must have a look on the definition of ##b : \ker(f) \rightarrow V##. E.g. if we defined ##b =0## then ##b## would still be linear and a map from ##\ker (f)## to ##V##. So the way how ## b## is defined is crucial here.

1. What does it mean for a sequence to be exact?

An exact sequence is a sequence of mathematical objects (such as groups, vector spaces, or modules) and homomorphisms between them, where the image of one homomorphism equals the kernel of the next, and the sequence ends with an object whose image is the entire target space.

2. How can I prove that a sequence is exact?

To prove that a sequence is exact, you need to show that the image of one homomorphism is equal to the kernel of the next, and that the final object has an image that covers the entire target space. This can be done using properties of homomorphisms, such as injectivity and surjectivity, as well as commutative diagrams.

3. What is the significance of the sequence being exact?

An exact sequence is significant because it allows us to understand the relationships between the objects and homomorphisms involved. It also allows us to define and study important mathematical concepts, such as homology and cohomology, which have applications in various areas of mathematics and science.

4. Can you give an example of a sequence that is exact?

One example of a sequence that is exact is the short exact sequence of vector spaces: 0 → ker(f) → V → im(f) → 0. Here, f is a linear transformation from V to W, and the kernel of f is the set of vectors that map to 0 in W, while the image of f is the set of all vectors in W that are mapped from V. This sequence is exact because the image of ker(f) is equal to the kernel of im(f), and the final object, im(f), covers the entire target space, W.

5. What is the relationship between exact sequences and homology?

Exact sequences are closely related to the concept of homology, which is a method for studying the structure of mathematical objects. In particular, exact sequences can be used to construct chain complexes, which are a sequence of objects and homomorphisms that are used in homology theory. Furthermore, exact sequences can be used to define homology groups, which are a way of measuring the "holes" or higher-dimensional features of a space or object.