Providing a proof or counter example.

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem where the task is to prove or give a counterexample for the statement "for all x > 0 we have x^2+1 < (x+1)^2 <= 2(x^2+1)". The individual first tries to use their calculator to graph the functions and then attempts a direct proof, but ultimately uses algebra to show that the inequality is satisfied for all values of x > 0. The conversation then concludes with a discussion of using the transitive property to show that 0 < x < 1 satisfies the inequality.
Dougggggg

Homework Statement

Prove or give a counterexample: for all x > 0 we have x2+1< (x+1)2[tex]\leq[/tex] 2(x2+1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used my calculator to do the graph of all 3 functions and saw that the statement was always true (at least for x>0). So I couldn't see another proof method that would work so I just went ahead with the direct proof.

Kept rewriting the functions and narrowing down until I got to this below.

-(1/x) < 2 - (1/x) [tex]\leq[/tex] x

My intuition says that if x>0 that when x gets smaller and smaller, the first two terms get more and more negative. As x gets bigger and bigger, the term on the right becomes larger while the other only get slightly larger. However, I didn't see that as a proper "proof."

If it is any help, my class has learned these proof methods so far: Direct Proof, Counterexample, Contrapositive, Contradiction, and proof by cases.

Edit: Found something, I managed to do some algebra and rearranged it to the form of -2x<0<(x-1)(x-1) and pretend that second inequality includes "or equal to." There is a square on the right which will always be positive or 0 and in the problem it says x>0 so that first term will always be less than 0. Sweet.

If something is wrong in my logic please tell me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For what values of x are any pair of the functions equal?

SammyS said:
For what values of x are any pair of the functions equal?

Try x=1

Did you do your algebra wrong?
First one is: x^2+1
Second one is: x^2 + 2x + 1
Third term is: 2x^2 + 2

Subtract x^2 from every one you get:

1 less than 2x+1 less than or equal to x^2+2

Subtract 1 from every one you get:

0 less than 2x less than or equal to x^2 + 1

Now I would prove all of them separately:
0 less than 2x
then
0 less than x^2 + 1
then
2x less than or equal to x^2 + 1

OR

0 < 2x
2x less than or equal to x^2+1

finally use transitive property to show 0

From where you are, minus 2x. You have (-2x), then 0, then x^2 -2x + 1. Which factors into (x-1)(x-1) or (x-1)^2

Dougggggg said:
From where you are, minus 2x. You have (-2x), then 0, then x^2 -2x + 1. Which factors into (x-1)(x-1) or (x-1)^2

I like that. It makes it even easier because any number squared is greater than or equal to zero. And -2x is always less than zero for x > 0. Both should be pretty easy to prove.

Yea, that is what I ended up doing, it was turned in yesterday at like 9 am.

1. What is the purpose of providing a proof or counter example?

The purpose of providing a proof or counter example is to validate or disprove a statement or hypothesis. It allows for a logical and systematic approach to understanding and analyzing a problem or concept.

2. How do you construct a proof or counter example?

A proof involves using logical reasoning and mathematical principles to demonstrate the truth of a statement. It typically involves starting with known facts and using mathematical operations to arrive at a conclusion. A counter example, on the other hand, involves finding a specific case that disproves a statement or hypothesis.

3. When is it necessary to provide a proof or counter example?

Proofs and counter examples are necessary when making claims or statements in mathematics, science, or any other field that requires logical reasoning. They provide evidence and support for a particular argument or idea.

4. Can a proof or counter example be subjective?

No, a proof or counter example should be based on objective and logical reasoning. It should be universally applicable and not dependent on personal opinions or beliefs.

5. What is the difference between a direct proof and an indirect proof?

A direct proof involves directly proving a statement or hypothesis using logical reasoning and known facts. An indirect proof, also known as a proof by contradiction, involves assuming the opposite of the statement and showing that it leads to a contradiction, thus proving the statement to be true.