1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a function is bijective

1. Dec 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The relation R, on the set ℝxℝ, is defined by (x,y)R(a,b) if and only if x+b=a+y for any real number x,y,a, and b.

Let G denote the set of equivalence classes of the relation R.

Question: Let f: ℝ -> G be defined by f(a)=[(0,a)]. Prove that f is a bijection.

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I have to come up with an equation, for f(a)=[(0,a)]. I also think I could prove this using induction.

I am very confused and need a leg up on how to start! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you need to understand what the question is actually asking first. [(0,a)] is the equivalence class consisting of all (x,y) such that (x,y)R(0,a). What does that set look like if you graph it in the xy plane?

4. Dec 13, 2012 #3
    Do you mean the graph of the set (0,a)? The x-values are stationary at 0 and the y-values are varying.

I know that I need to prove that the function is both onto and 1:1. Ergh, am I really confused

5. Dec 13, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I still don't think you really understand what they are asking. No. (0,a) is just a point. I mean the graph of the equivalence class [(0,a)] with a fixed. The brackets mean 'equivalence class'. (0,a)R(x,y) means 0+y=x+a, right?

6. Dec 13, 2012 #5
    Yes.. so the graph is y=x+a then?

7. Dec 13, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. So [(0,a)] is a straight line with y-intercept a and slope 1. So your function f takes a in R and maps it to that straight line. Now can you see why it's a bijection?

8. Dec 13, 2012 #7
    Yes. Thank you so, so much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook