1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a set of functions is bounded in an open set

1. Dec 5, 2013 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data.

Let ##X## be a complete metric space and consider ##C(X)## the space of continuous functions from ##X## to ##\mathbb R## with the metric ##d_{\infty}##. Suppose that for every ##x \in X##, the set ##\{f(x): f \in C(X)\}## is bounded in ##\mathbb R##. Prove that there exist an open set ##U \subset X## and ##C>0## such that ##\forall x \in U## and ##\forall f \in C(X)##, ##|f(x)|\leq C##.

The attempt at a solution.

I am totally lost with this problem. I am having trouble understanding what I am trying to prove here. Would the proof of this statement mean that ##C(X)## is bounded restricted to some subset of ##X##? Can anyone suggest me where to begin? A lot of information is given in the statement: ##X## is complete, the functions are continuous, etc, but I don't know how to properly use all these facts.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't get what they mean either. If C(X) is the space of all continuous functions X->R, then any constant function f(x)=M for arbitrary M in R is continous. So f(x) can be anything in R. So how can you assume f(x) is bounded for all f in C(X)? I'm not sure the question (whatever it is) has been stated correctly.

4. Dec 5, 2013 #3
    You're right, it doesn't make any sense to assume what the exercise tells to assume because of what you've said. I've taken this exercise from an old exam, if I can figure out if there was any correction on the statement, I'll post it. As you've noticed, as it is now, it is incorrect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted