Proving a set under an operation is associative. (Abstract Algebra)

In summary: Since this is a sum and not an equation, we can't show that they are equal.Thank you for responding in this thread and in my last one. I'm not sure how your example helps. I know you can't show that [x + y] = [x + z]...however, we would have to do this to show that these two equations are equal, since [x +y] and [x + z] are the only difference between the two equations.
jdinatale

Homework Statement

godel.jpg

I'm trying to prove that this is a group. I already established elsewhere that it is a binary operation, so now I am onto proving associativity. I've tried many examples and so I'm confident it is associative, but now I just have to prove that.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let [itex]x, y, z \in G[/itex]. Then [itex]x*(y*z) = x*(y + z - [y + z]) = x + y + z - [y + z] - [x + y + z - [y + z]][/itex]

Then [itex](x*y)*z = (x + y - [x + y])*z = x + y + z - [x + y] - [x + y + z - [x + y]] [/itex]

Now the problem is coming up with an equality to show this. We would have to show that [y + z] = [x + y]. I guess you could do a ton of cases where you show what happens when [itex]y + z \geq 1[/itex] and [itex]y + z < 1[/itex], same goes for [itex]x + y[/itex], but I'm now sure that even that would work.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you see quotient groups?? Perhaps you can prove your structure to be isomorphic to

[tex]\mathbb{R}/\mathbb{Z}[/tex]

Since the above is a group, it follows that your G is also a group.

micromass said:
Did you see quotient groups?? Perhaps you can prove your structure to be isomorphic to

[tex]\mathbb{R}/\mathbb{Z}[/tex]

Since the above is a group, it follows that your G is also a group.

No, I've never seen a quotient group or the term isomorphic (although I know what isomorphic means). We haven't even defined a subgroup. This is only the third day of abstract algebra class and he hasn't gotten to either of those terms. We are suppose to be able to prove this just using definitions of a group, definitions of associativity, etc.

I would normally be up for the challenge of proving it using an alternate method like the one you suggested, but the assignment is due tomorrow and I have other assignments to do, so I won't have time to read up on the quotient group stuff yet.

jdinatale said:
No, I've never seen a quotient group or the term isomorphic (although I know what isomorphic means). We haven't even defined a subgroup. This is only the third day of abstract algebra class and he hasn't gotten to either of those terms. We are suppose to be able to prove this just using definitions of a group, definitions of associativity, etc.

I would normally be up for the challenge of proving it using an alternate method like the one you suggested, but the assignment is due tomorrow and I have other assignments to do, so I won't have time to read up on the quotient group stuff yet.

You can't show [x+y]=[x+z]. It's not true as you can see by making examples. What you can show is things like [x+[y]]=[x]+[y] when x and y are positive.

Dick said:
You can't show [x+y]=[x+z]. It's not true as you can see by making examples. What you can show is things like [x+[y]]=[x]+[y] when x and y are positive.

Thank you for responding in this thread and in my last one. I'm not sure how your example helps. I know you can't show that [x + y] = [x + z]...however, we would have to do this to show that these two equations are equal, since [x +y] and [x + z] are the only difference between the two equations.

Let [itex]x, y, z \in G[/itex]. Then [itex]x*(y*z) = x*(y + z - [y + z]) = x + y + z - [y + z] - [x + y + z - [y + z]][/itex]

Then [itex](x*y)*z = (x + y - [x + y])*z = x + y + z - [x + y] - [x + y + z - [x + y]] [/itex]

I've tried a ton of examples, and I am almost certain that this is associative, but I'm not sure how to show the above equations are equal.

Look at [x+y+z-[y+z]] as [a-] where a=x+y+z and b=y+z.

1. What does it mean for a set to be under an operation?

An operation on a set is a rule or function that combines any two elements in the set to produce a unique result. The set itself is said to be under that operation.

2. How do you prove that a set is associative under an operation?

To prove that a set is associative under an operation, you must show that for any three elements in the set, the order in which you perform the operation does not affect the final result. In other words, (a * b) * c = a * (b * c) for all a, b, and c in the set.

3. What is an example of a set that is associative under an operation?

An example of a set that is associative under an operation is the set of real numbers under addition. For any three real numbers a, b, and c, (a + b) + c = a + (b + c).

4. Can you prove associativity for non-numeric sets?

Yes, associativity can be proven for non-numeric sets as long as the set is closed under the given operation. For example, the set of all words in a language under concatenation is associative.

5. Why is it important for a set to be associative under an operation?

Proving associativity for a set under an operation is important because it ensures that the operation can be performed without ambiguity. It also allows for more efficient calculations and simplification of expressions involving the operation.