1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a thermodynamic relationship

1. Nov 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that ##TdS = C_vdT + \alpha T / \kappa dV##

2. Relevant equations
    ##T dS = dU - pdV##
    ##\alpha = \frac{1}{v}\left(\frac{\partial v}{\partial T}\right )_P##
    ##\kappa = -\frac{1}{v}\left(\frac{\partial v}{\partial P}\right)_T##

3. The attempt at a solution

The ##C_vdT## part is quite easy since for a constant volume process ##dU = C_vdT## but I can't seem to figure out how to get the second part of the expression. After multiplying by forms of 1 I end up with $$-pdV = \frac{\alpha\left(\frac{\partial v}{\partial P}\right)_T}{\kappa \left(\frac{\partial v}{\partial T}\right)_P}PdV$$, now using the cyclical rule here doesn't seem logical since that would introduce a negative so it seems like I need to replace the pressure P with something although I'm not sure what relation I can use to do that.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2016 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You've probably figured it out over the past few days, but for one thing, you've got a sign problem: ##T\,dS=dU+p\,dV## because ##p## is compressive stress.

4. Dec 4, 2016 #3
    Your mistake is that dU is not equal to ##C_vdT##. That is only correct for an ideal gas. In general, $$dS=\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial T}\right)_VdT+\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right)_TdV=\frac{C_vdT}{T}+\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right)_TdV$$
    From one of the Maxwell relationships, $$\left(\frac{\partial S}{\partial V}\right)_T=\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V$$Therefore, $$dS=\frac{C_vdT}{T}+\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_VdV$$So, $$TdS=C_vdT+T\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_VdV$$

5. Dec 4, 2016 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

At constant volume, ##dU=C_V\,dT## for all materials, as Potatochip911 noted.

6. Dec 4, 2016 #5
    But the problem statement does not say anything about constant volume. In fact, it explicitly indicates that the volume is not considered constant.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted