Proving Complex Numbers are Rational

In summary, complex numbers are numbers in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit. To prove a complex number is rational, it must be expressed as a ratio of two integers. The difference between a rational and irrational complex number is that the latter cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. Not all complex numbers can be proven to be rational or irrational. Proving their rationality or irrationality is crucial in understanding their properties and solving equations in mathematics and science.
halvizo1031

Homework Statement

Let Z and W be complex numbers. If /Z/ and /W/ are rational and /W-Z/ is rational, then
/(1/Z)-(1/W)/ is rational.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I represent Z and W as rational complex numbers?

Physics news on Phys.org
z and w are arbitrary complex numbers. Rational numbers can be written in the form a/b, where a and b are integers.

And it's |z|, not /z/.

halvizo1031 said:
How do I represent Z and W as rational complex numbers?

It isn't Z and W that are rational, it is their magnitudes |Z| and |W|.

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (i.e. √-1).

2. How do you prove that a complex number is rational?

To prove that a complex number is rational, you need to show that it can be expressed as a ratio of two integers. In other words, you need to show that the imaginary part (bi) is equal to 0.

3. What is the difference between a rational and an irrational complex number?

A rational complex number can be expressed as a ratio of two integers (e.g. 3 + 2i), while an irrational complex number cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers (e.g. √2 + √3i).

4. Can all complex numbers be proven to be rational or irrational?

No, not all complex numbers can be proven to be rational or irrational. Some complex numbers, such as 1 + i, are neither rational nor irrational.

5. What is the significance of proving complex numbers to be rational or irrational?

Proving complex numbers to be rational or irrational is important in understanding the properties and behavior of these numbers. It also helps in solving complex equations and problems in mathematics and science.