Proving Convergence of $\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k \, (\log (k+1))^p}$

  • Thread starter Thread starter devious_
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Convergence
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
devious_
Messages
312
Reaction score
3
Find all [itex]p \geq 0[/itex] such that

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k \, (\log (k+1))^p}[/tex]

converges.

It looks like the integral test is the most likely candidate, but I haven't been able to make any progress using it. I'd appreciate a push in the right direction.

Edit:
I've managed to prove that it converges for [itex]p > 1[/itex]. Since it obviously diverges for [itex]p=0[/itex], I'm trying to see what happens when [itex]0 < p \leq 1[/itex].

Edit2:
And now I just proved that it diverges for such p. Problem solved. :smile:
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
out of curiosity, how did u proceed? I used a criterion that is very useful when dealing with log series. it says that [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] converges [itex]\Leftrightarrow \sum 2^n a_{2^n}[/itex] converges.

So compare the [itex]2^n[/itex] serie with the riemann p-serie and you get that the original series behaves just like the riemann p-serie, i.e. diverges for [itex]p \leq 1[/itex] and converges for p>1.
 
Last edited:
How on Earth does that test work?

take the sum of (-1)^n/log(n), that converges by the alternating series test, yet the 2^n subseries

2^n(-1)^(2^n)/log(2^n) = 2^n/nlog(2)

does not converge.
 
Oh yeah, an must be decreasing non-negative.
 
I was just about to add "non-increasing".

For the problem here, you can also use the integral test.
 
I used the fact that log is increasing so that [itex]\log (k) < \log (k+1)[/itex], and I used the integral test.