1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving/disproving n^2-n+11 is prime, i think i got it

1. Sep 17, 2006 #1
    Hello everyone!

I think i got this but i'm not sure if i'm allowed to do this. The question is:

For all integers n, n^2-n+11 is a prime number. Well if that was a prime number it should be true that n^2-n+11 = (r)(s) then r = 1 or s = 1. But if you equate n^2-n+11 = 1, you get a false statement. n^2-n + 12 = 0, and if u plugged say 0 in for n, u get 12 = 0, 12 is not prime...but 12 = 0, doesn't make sense. Am i on the right track or totally doing the wrong test? I'm confused if i'm suppose to set n^2-n+11 to somthing, it won't facotr unless i do a quadtratic but i'm not sure what that would even show me.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2006 #2
    you don't need to solve a polynomial. Giving any counterexample is enough to prove the statement false. This example is very specific, but it's easy to generalize this to n^2 - n + p, where p is any integer
  4. Sep 17, 2006 #3
    I can't seem to find a number that will make it not prime! i've tried a bunch of random ones but they are turn out to be prime, can anyone clarify that is infact false and can be proved with a counter example?
  5. Sep 17, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you see a choice of n that will let you factor something out of n^2-n+11? If not, be systematic n=1, 2, 3, 4, ...
  6. Sep 17, 2006 #5
    Thanks shmoe! i got it, n = 11, u will get 121 which is not prime! wee thanks!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?