1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving inequality by induction,given a condition

1. Nov 4, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If [tex]x_{1} x_{2} \cdots x_{n}=1[/tex] (1)
    show that
    [tex]x_{1}+x_{2}+\cdots+x_{n} \geq n[/tex] (2)

3. The attempt at a solution

I attempted as follows. I started with

[tex]x_{1} + \frac{1}{x_{1}} \geq 2[/tex] , which is an inequality I already know how to prove.

Then using Eq.(1) I get
    [tex]x_{1} + x_{2} x_{3} \cdots x_{n} \geq 2[/tex]

Continuing from this point , for example started from another point [tex]x_{2}[/tex] and repeating the procedure for all [tex]n[/tex] , I get no where. I cannot think of another path to take.

If i try to do it by induction, I cannot assume that the equation holds for [tex]n[/tex] numbers , and try to prove for [tex]n+1[/tex] numbers, as by including [tex]x_{n+1}[/tex], Eq.(1) and Eq.(2) need not hold anymore but
    [tex]x_{1} x_{2} \cdots x_{n} x_{n+1}=1[/tex]
    [tex]x_{1}+x_{2}+\cdots+x_{n} +x_{n+1}\geq n +1[/tex]

Edit:
    Assuming all x's are nonnegative

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm assuming all the x_i are nonnegative real numbers.

Do you really want to do this by induction? It follows pretty easily from the AM-GM inequality.

4. Nov 4, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Alternatively, you can use a Lagrange multiplier to extremize the sum of the xi's subject to the constraint that their product is 1.

5. Nov 4, 2008 #4
    Well I could use AM-GM , or the method by langrange multiplier but I am interested in how to apply the principle of induction itself when such a condition is given, or if its possible at all .

6. Nov 4, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't really see how to get at this with induction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?