Proving integral on small contour is equal to 0.

In summary, the conversation discusses the integral $\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\log^2(x)}{x^2 + 1} dx$ and the goal of letting a small radius $u$ approach 0. A parametrization is introduced and an inequality is derived to show that the contour integral around the small semi circle with radius $u$ is 0. The conversation also mentions that the function $\frac{\log(z)}{z^2 + 1}$ is linear and non-zero around $z=0$, but this does not affect the integral. Lastly, it is mentioned that the log term will not contribute to the integral and the second part has a nice solution.
Amad27
Consider the integral:

$$\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{\log^2(x)}{x^2 + 1} dx$$
elTqG.png

$R$ is the big radius, $\delta$ is the small radius.

Actually, let's consider $u$ the small radius. Let $\delta = u$

Ultimately the goal is to let $u \to 0$

We can parametrize,

$$z = ue^{i\theta}$$$$\int_{\delta} f(z)dz = (-)\cdot\int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{(i\theta + \log(u))^2\cdot (uie^{i\theta})}{(ue^{i\theta})^2 + 1} d\theta$$

$$\left | \int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{(i\theta + \log(u))^2\cdot (uie^{i\theta})}{(ue^{i\theta})^2 + 1} d\theta \right | \le \int_{0}^{\pi} \frac{|(i\theta + \log(u))|^2\cdot(u)}{|(ue^{i\theta})^2 + 1 |} d\theta$$

$$|(ue^{i\theta})^2 + 1 | < u^2 + 1 $$

$$\frac{1}{u^2 + 1} < \frac{1}{|(ue^{i\theta})^2 + 1 |}$$

Since the maximum value of $\theta$ is $\theta = \pi$$$|(i\theta + \log(u))| = \sqrt{\log^2(u) - \theta^2} \le \sqrt{\log^2(u) + \pi^2}$$

So:

$$|(i\theta + \log(u))|^2 \le \log^2(u) + \pi^2$$

Then:

$$|(i\theta + \log(u))|^2 \le \log^2(u) + \pi^2$$

For values $u$ near $0$.

$$(u)|(i\theta + \log(u))|^2 \le (\log^2(u) + \pi^2)u \le (\pi^2)u + 5\pi^2$$

Therefore,

$$\frac{|\log(z)|}{|z^2 + 1|} \le \frac{(\pi^2)u + 5\pi^2}{u^2 + 1}$$

Then we take the limit as $u \to 0$ which makes the RHS of the inequality 0.

hence the LHS upperbound is $0$.

So is the contour integral around the small semi circle $\delta$ = 0?

How do I do this?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
##\frac{1}{z^2+1}## is linear and non-zero around z=0, it does not matter for the integral. If you have to write down steps, you can confine it to be within ##1\pm \epsilon## for every epsilon if u is small enough...
ln(z)= ln(|z|) + i θ, the log term won't give a contribution as it leads to something like ln(u)/u which converges to zero for u to zero, the second part has a nice solution.

1. What is a small contour in integration?

A small contour in integration refers to a curve or path that encloses a small portion of the function being integrated. It is commonly used in complex analysis to evaluate integrals over a specific region.

2. Why is it important to prove that the integral on a small contour is equal to 0?

Proving that the integral on a small contour is equal to 0 is important because it allows us to use the Cauchy's integral theorem, which states that the integral along a closed contour is equal to 0 if the function is analytic within the contour. This theorem is widely used in various fields of mathematics and physics.

3. How do you prove that the integral on a small contour is equal to 0?

The proof for this relies on the Cauchy's integral theorem and the Cauchy's integral formula, which states that the integral of a function over a closed contour can be calculated by evaluating the function at any point within the contour and multiplying it by the contour's circumference. By choosing a point within the small contour and showing that the function is analytic at that point, we can then use the Cauchy's integral formula to show that the integral on the small contour is equal to 0.

4. Can the integral on a small contour be equal to a value other than 0?

It is possible for the integral on a small contour to be equal to a value other than 0, but only if the function being integrated is not analytic within the contour. In this case, the Cauchy's integral theorem does not hold, and the integral cannot be evaluated using the Cauchy's integral formula.

5. What are some applications of proving that the integral on a small contour is equal to 0?

Proving that the integral on a small contour is equal to 0 has various applications in mathematics and physics. It is used in the computation of complex integrals, solving differential equations, and in the evaluation of path integrals in quantum mechanics. It also has applications in fields such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and signal processing.