Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving invariance of scalar product

1. Mar 31, 2007 #1
    Hi everyone,

How would I go about proving that the scalar product of two four-vectors (A,B) is invariant under a Lorentz transformation?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2007 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As a warmup, you might try to prove that the scalar product of two vectors in the plane is invariant under a rotation.

4. Apr 1, 2007 #3
    Okay... I could do that for 2 vectors (x1, x2) and (y1, y2) in a plane.

As for the four-vector proof, I'm not even sure I'm doing it right... My understanding is that I have to take the scalar product of the two vectors A and B. Then I have to apply Lorentz transform to both vectors and calculate the scalar product of A' and B'. For invariance, these two scalar products should be equal?

5. Apr 1, 2007 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

yes.

How did you do the problem for the dot product of vectors in the plane?

6. Apr 1, 2007 #5
    I figured out the proof for the four-vectors. Now I see the similarity between that and the rotation proof. Turns out I was using the wrong transformation formulas for my vectors and that's why things didn't add up. Thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?