Prove k divides n!+k for n≥2, k=2,3,...,n by induction

  • Thread starter Thread starter jonroberts74
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 2K views
jonroberts74
Messages
189
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



prove by induction that K|n!+k for all integers [tex]n \ge 2[/tex] and k = 2,3,4,...,n
this one is different than other proofs I have had because I've only dealt with n changing but now n and k change.

k goes up to n, does this mean k and n have the same values?

for instance,

P(2)

[tex]2|2! + 2 \Rightarrow 2|4[/tex]

so p(k)

is [tex]k|n!+k; n=k[/tex]

[tex]k|k!+k[/tex]

??
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jonroberts74 said:

Homework Statement



prove by induction that K|n!+k for all integers [tex]n \ge 2[/tex] and k = 2,3,4,...,n



this one is different than other proofs I have had because I've only dealt with n changing but now n and k change.

k goes up to n, does this mean k and n have the same values?

for instance,

P(2)

[tex]2|2! + 2 \Rightarrow 2|4[/tex]

so p(k)

is [tex]k|n!+k; n=k[/tex] ??

You ask: "does this mean k and n have the same values?". No, that is not what it says and not what it means. Look at some small-n examples. If n = 3 it says that 2|3!+2 and 3|3!+3. So, k is not 3; it is any number in the set {2,3}. If n = 4 it says that all three of the statements 2|4!+2, 3|4!+3 and 4|4!+4 are true.
 
ah okay

whatever n is, then k takes on each value in the set {2,...,n}
 
The fact that if k< n the n k divides n! makes this pretty close to trivial.
 
[tex]2|n!+2[/tex]
[tex]3|n!+3[/tex]
[tex]4|n!+4[/tex]
[tex]\downarrow[/tex]
[tex]k|n!+k[/tex]

where k takes on the values of 2,3,4...n and n is an integer greater than or equal to 2

and because for all k<n, k|n and when n=k, k|n

so my p(k) is

[tex]k|n!+k[/tex]

and

p(k+1)

[tex](k+1)|n!+(k+1)[/tex]
 
Last edited:
I have to make a correction. its not asking for induction. all the other problems on this problem set were induction but I confirmed with my prof this is not an induction proof question
 
Can you see a common factor in the numerator?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
k is a factor of k, clearly and k is a also a factor of n! by the given information


[tex]2 \le k \le n[/tex] and by definition of a factorial k had to be used somewhere along the product

[tex]\prod_{k=2}^{n} k[/tex]

case 1

k = 2, n > or equal 2

[tex]\frac{2*...*n + 2}{2}[/tex]

case 2

2 < k <n

[tex]\frac{2*...*k*...*n + k}{k}[/tex]

case 3

n=k

[tex]\frac{2*...*k + k}{k}[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Those case are not necessary. WWDG's point is that if [itex]k\le n[/itex] then k is a factor of n!.
 
I understand that but I am expected to show a proof. Seems a tad bit too easy to say if

[tex]k \le n[/tex] then k is a factor of n!
 
jonroberts74 said:
I understand that but I am expected to show a proof. Seems a tad bit too easy to say if

[tex]k \le n[/tex] then k is a factor of n!

But that is absolutely correct, so IS a proof! Sometimes proofs are easy---after you "see" them.