1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving Kp will remain constant if total press. is doubled

1. Mar 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Is there a way I can prove (mathematically) that Kp for the chemical reaction: H2(g) + I2(s) <--> 2HI(g) will remain constant if I double the total pressure of the mixture?

2. Relevant equations
    H2(g) + I2(s) <--> 2HI(g)

3. The attempt at a solution
    If I write the expression for Kp from the above reaction I get: Kp = p^2(HI) / p(H2). Now, if I double the total pressure of the mixture I get K'p = 2Kp. However, I know from the theory that Kp is independent of the total pressure of the mixture. But is there a way I can prove it mathematically? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It appears that you're trying to preserve the degree of completion rather than Kp as a function of pressure. Remember that Kp is in terms of partial pressures.

4. Mar 10, 2015 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

That Kp is a constant can be only proved experimentally, not mathematically.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted