Finding Kp given the final equilibrium pressure

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of Kp for the reaction between solid sulfur and carbon monoxide to form sulfur dioxide and carbon. The formula for Kp is mentioned, as well as the use of mole fractions. However, it is noted that there may not be enough information given to solve the problem using the final equilibrium pressure.
ebunny91

Homework Statement

When two moles of CO are introduced into a vessel containing solid sulfur, the final equilibrium pressure is 1.03 atm. Determine Kp for the reaction:

S(s) + 2CO(g) <--> SO2(g) + 2C(s)

Homework Equations

Kp=P(products)/P(reactants)

Mole Fraction = mole of A/ total moles

The Attempt at a Solution

I know Kp=P(products)/P(reactants)

So I have Kp=[SO2]/[CO2]^2, I left the S and the C out because they are solids.

I am not sure what to do with the final equilibrium pressure.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it all data given? If so, looks to me like there is not enough information to solve the problem.

Usually final pressure can be used to find out how far reaction proceeded (using stoichiometry), but it can't be done in this case.

1. What is Kp?

Kp is the equilibrium constant in terms of partial pressures for a gaseous reaction. It is a measure of the extent to which a reaction will proceed towards the products at a given temperature.

2. How do I find Kp for a given reaction?

To find Kp, you need to know the balanced chemical equation for the reaction and the partial pressures of all the gases involved at equilibrium. Then, you can use the formula Kp = (Pproducts)coefficients / (Preactants)coefficients to calculate Kp.

3. What is the significance of Kp in a reaction?

Kp tells us the direction and extent of a reaction at a given temperature. A large Kp value indicates that the reaction favors the products, while a small Kp value indicates that the reaction favors the reactants. Kp also allows us to predict how changes in temperature, pressure, and concentration will affect the equilibrium of a reaction.

4. Can Kp be negative?

No, Kp cannot be negative. Since Kp is a ratio of partial pressures, it is always a positive value. A negative Kp value would indicate that the reaction favors the reactants, but this is not possible as Kp is defined for reactions that proceed towards the products.

5. How does temperature affect Kp?

According to Le Chatelier's principle, increasing the temperature of a reaction shifts the equilibrium towards the endothermic direction. This means that for an endothermic reaction, the equilibrium constant Kp will increase with increasing temperature, while for an exothermic reaction, Kp will decrease. This relationship is described by the Van't Hoff equation, which relates the equilibrium constant to the change in enthalpy (ΔH) and temperature (T).