1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving limit equivalence statements.

1. Oct 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Is it always true that

lim f(x) x-->infinity = lim f(1/t)t --> 0

lim f(x)x--> 0 = lim f(1/n)n-->infinity

3. The attempt at a solution

How can you begin to prove or disprove these statements if you don't know what f is doing to x. In other words, lim f(x) could not exist or it could depending on what f(x) is doing to the x's right? So from where do I start?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

not too sure on this one, but as some ideas, consider the 2nd case
    lim x->0, f(x)

for the limit to exist, the limit must be same for the approach to zero form both sides
    lim x->0+, f(x) = lim x->0-, f(x)

it seems to me changing to the case, lim n-> inf, f(1/n) only really consider the 0+ approach

consider a step function at the origin

however that will only be a problem if the limit does not exist, if the limit does exist then i think you might be ok - however it might be some food for though for the first case what if t approaches 0-, then would you require the negative infinte limit to be the same as the positive one?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook