Proving linear independence of {(cos t, sin t), (-sin t, cos t)}

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 3K views
atakel
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Let t€R be fixed. Show that {u,v}CR^2 with u=(cost,sint), v=(-sint,cost) is a linearly inpedendent set.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
My advice to you is to set up vectors u,v as a 2x2 matrix and plug in values for t;

then how do you conclude that a matrix has linearly independent vectors?
 
I uploadded the original question, there is no information about 'the rank'. In addition that I don't know how to solve the others.
 
Attachments
So you've never heard of the rank of a matrix? Hmm, that makes it a bit more difficult.

Anyway, our u and v are independent iff

[tex]\alpha u+\beta v=0~\Rightarrow~\alpha=\beta=0[/tex]

were alpha and beta are real number.
So, how do you proceed. You assume that there exists alpha and beta such that

[tex]\alpha (\cos t,\sin t)+\beta (-\sin t,\cos t)=(0,0)[/tex]

this will give you a system of two equations and two unknowns (the alpha and beta).
Solve this system. If you find [tex]\alpha=\beta=0[/tex], then our u and v are independent.
 
thank u=)
if u have any idea about other questions, can u help me?
I didn't take a linear cource.. Solving these questions is really diffucult for me://
 
Yes, Id be happy to help you with these questions. But first you need to show me what you did yourself to try and solve these questions...
 
Actually, at first I started to study ''Partial Differential Equations in Action, Salsa'' but my backround is not enough to understand all subjects. Now I turned back and I started studying linear algebra..
For now, I don't have any idea about solving these questions. I have one week to learn all these subjects..
 
I'm sorry to say this, but you should first learn linear algebra and then start worrying abou th questions. We cannot help you until you learned some linear algebra :frown:
 
=) I am going to finish all subjects asp.. anf then I will turn back with my new questions.. thank u very much=)