Proving the normalizer of a prime order subgroup in S(p)

  • Thread starter Thread starter hermanni
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
hermanni
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
I'm reading my textbook (Dummit & Foote) and having trouble at conjugacy section , here's the question:

Prove that if p is a prime and P is a subgroup of S(p) of order p, then
| N (P) | = p(p-1). (Argue that every conjugate of P contains exactly p-1 p-cycles and use the formula for the number of p-cycles to compute the index of
N(P) in S(p) .
N(P) : normalizer of P in S(p).

I reaaly have no clue , can someone help??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose, as you say, that [tex]P[/tex] is a subgroup of [tex]\mathfrak{S}_p[/tex] of order [tex]p[/tex]. What can the elements of [tex]P[/tex] be, in concrete terms? There aren't that many choices.

Also, given a permutation [tex]\sigma \in \mathfrak{S}_p[/tex], there is a general way to write down the elements of its conjugacy class [tex]\{ \pi\sigma\pi^{-1} \mid \pi \in \mathfrak{S}_p \}[/tex]. (It helps to write out [tex]\sigma[/tex] in cycle decomposition first.)
 
I think that P must be cyclic (since it's of prime order ) so it's generated by an element of order p , which must be an p-cycle.Am I right?
 
Right. So if [tex]\kappa[/tex] is a [tex]p[/tex]-cycle, and [tex]P = \langle\kappa\rangle[/tex] is the subgroup generated by [tex]\kappa[/tex], what can the conjugates [tex]\pi P \pi^{-1}[/tex] look like?
 
Well, conjugates have the same cycle structure.Conjugate of P has also p elements , but I still can't see why they must be all p-cycles.