Proving n2 - 19n + 89 is Not a Perfect Square for n>11

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter murshid_islam
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
15 replies · 4K views
murshid_islam
Messages
468
Reaction score
21
hi, i have to prove that if n is a perfect square and n>11, then n2 - 19n + 89 is not a perfect square. i have came up with the following:

n>11
100 - 89 < 20n - 19n
-20n + 100 < -19n + 89
n2 - 20n + 100 < n2 - 19n + 89
(n-10)2 < n2 - 19n + 89......(1)

n>11
92 - 81 < 19n - 18n
-19n + 92 < -18n + 81
n2 - 19n + 92 < n2 - 18n + 81
n2 - 19n + 89 + 3 < (n-9)2
n2 - 19n + 89 < (n-9)2......(2)

combining (1) and (2), we get,
(n-10)2 < n2 - 19n + 89 < (n-9)2

since n2 - 19n + 89 is between two consecutive perfect squares, it cannot be a perfect square itself. (QED)

but my proof doesn't require n to be a perfect square (as stated in the problem). is the question wrong? or am i making some mistake in my proof?
 
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Indeed, you don't need the n> 11 either. n2- 19n+ 89 is not a perfect square number for any n because n2- 19n+ 89 is not a perfect square polynomial.
 
I'm not sure I get that, Halls.

x^2+9 is not a perfect square polynomial, yet when x=4, x^2+9=25. There are of course an infinite number of examples, I just wanted one where we evaluate x at a perfect square.
 
I don't understand Halls either and I don't understand how the op got from
n^2 - 19n + 89 + 3 < (n-9)^2
to
n^2 - 19n + 89 < (n-9)^2 ?
 
If a is less then b, is a-3 less than, more than, or equal to b?
 
less than b

by the way, please could you let me have a look at the maths questions you used to have ?
 
This polynomial is also a perfect square at n=11.

The "n a perfect square" isn't necessary with the n>11 condition. That doesn't make the question wrong, just uneccesarily weaker than it could have been. You could actually remove either condition (n a square or n>11) and it would still be correct.
 
roger said:
less than b

Now do you see how the above conlcusion was reached?
 
but what did Halls mean by :n2- 19n+ 89 is not a perfect square number for any n because n2- 19n+ 89 is not a perfect square polynomial
 
matt grime said:
Now do you see how the above conlcusion was reached?

yes but how would it be proven explicitly without using proof by contradiction ?
 
roger said:
yes but how would it be proven explicitly without using proof by contradiction ?

You agree

n^2 - 19n + 89 < n^2 - 19n + 89 + 3

right? So

n^2 - 19n + 89 + 3 < (n-9)^2

implies

n^2 - 19n + 89 < (n-9)^2

"<" is transitive, a<b and b<c implies a<c
 
shmoe said:
You could actually remove either condition (n a square or n>11) and it would still be correct.
i think if we remove the condition "n>11", then it wouldn't be correct.
because, then n2 - 19n + 89 can be perfect square for n = 11.
but we can remove the condition "n is a perfect square".
 
Last edited:
I don't understand it myself! Another case of shooting from the hip.

I'm tempted to go back and delete that post and pretend I never said any such thing!
 
murshid_islam said:
i think if we remove the condition "n>11", then it wouldn't be correct.
because, then n2 - 19n + 89 can be perfect square for n = 11.

I said as much above, but notice n=11 is not a perfect square. I said "either" condition, not "both". Maybe I should have specified that explicitly.
 
shmoe said:
I said "either" condition, not "both".
sorry, my mistake. you are absolutely right.