Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving one element in the symmetric group (s>=3) commutes with all element

1. May 17, 2012 #1
    I am really stuck with how to prove that the only element in Sn (with n>=3) commuting with all the other elements of this group is the identity permutation id.

I have no idea what im supposed to do with it, i know why S3 has only one element that commutes but i dont know how to prove it for all.

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You could start by proving the following:

If f and g are in Sn, then the disjoint cycle representation of fgf-1 is obtained by taking the disjoint cycle representation of g and by changing every number n in the representation by g(n).

Think how that would prove your claim.

4. May 17, 2012 #3

jgens

Gold Member

I think micromass's solution is very good. If you have trouble with his solution, then you can also just do the following:

If [itex]\sigma \in S_n \setminus \{\mathrm{id}\}[/itex], then there exists an [itex]i \in \{1,\dots,n\}[/itex] such that [itex]\sigma(i) = j[/itex] and [itex]i \neq j[/itex]. Now let [itex]k \in \{1,\dots,n\}[/itex] be such that [itex]k \neq j,\sigma(j)[/itex] and let [itex]\tau \in S_n[/itex] be the transposition which switches [itex]j[/itex] and [itex]k[/itex]. The rest of the proof is trivial from here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook