Proving ##\psi## can be real or not, even or odd

• Thread starter gfd43tg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    even
In summary: Read moreIn summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that if a given function satisfies a certain differential equation, then substituting the argument with its negative counterpart also satisfies the same equation. This can be proven by substituting ##-z## for ##x## and showing that the resulting equation is equal to zero, thus proving that ##\psi(-x)## is a solution. This also implies that any solution can be written as a linear combination of even and odd functions, allowing for a more focused search for solutions.
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

upload_2015-2-28_15-48-40.png
upload_2015-2-28_15-48-54.png

Homework Equations

Equation 1.20
$$ \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \mid\Psi (x,t)\mid^{2} dx = 1 $$

Equation 2.5
$$ - \frac {\hbar^{2}}{2m} \frac {d^{2} \psi}{dx^{2}} + V \psi = E \psi $$

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)
$$ \Psi (x,t) = \psi e^{-i(E_{0} + i \Gamma)t / \hbar} $$
$$ \mid\Psi (x,t)\mid^{2} = \Psi^{*} \Psi = \mid \psi \mid^{2} e^{2 \Gamma t/ \hbar} $$
Using equation 1.20
$$ e^{2 \Gamma t/ \hbar} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \mid \psi \mid^{2} dx = 1 $$
This equality only holds true for all time if ##\Gamma## is zero.

(b) & (c) I am having a hard time understanding what to do, but (c) looks a little easier (probably since it's a shorter question) so I will try it first

Using equation 2.5, it seems they want me to plug in
$$- \frac {\hbar^{2}}{2m} \frac {d^{2} \psi(-x)}{dx^{2}} + V \psi(-x) = E \psi(-x) $$

But now what??

Physics news on Phys.org
In both b) and c) they want you to prove what's suggested by "If..." in the hint. So: not plug it in, but show that if ##\Psi(x) ## satisfies 2.5, then ##\Psi(-x)## does so too.

How do I begin to show that? I'm not sure what to start with

Well, E is a number, V is an even function. What about ##d^2\over {dx^2}## ?

It's an operator

edit: I'm sorry, the hints you are giving are just to me disjointed and I really don't know where to go with this. The best thing I can think of is to solve the schrödinger equation with the argument of -x.

Last edited:
Don't go solving. Just swap x and -x (perhaps that's what you meant to say), knowing ##\psi(x)## is a solution.

So I just say

$$ - \frac {\hbar^{2}}{2m} \frac {d^{2} \psi(-x)}{dx^{2}} + \psi(-x) [V(-x) - E] = 0 $$

So I know ##V(-x) = V(x)##, but how does this prove ##\psi(x) = \psi(-x)##? I mean, I suppose ##V - E## will have to be the same for either an argument of ##x## or ##-x##, so for this equation to be equal to zero, then ##\psi(x)## will have to be the same as ##\psi(-x)## in order to maintain equality with equation 2.5. This seems trivial and hand wavy...

Last edited:
no, you can prove it, not just by handwaving. Start by assuming that ##\psi (x)## is a solution, then prove that ##\psi (-x)## is a solution. Hint: substitute ##-z=x## into the original equation.

[edit] ... messy edit - lost a huge part.

You can extend to ## \psi(x)+\psi(-x)## which is definitely even and ## \psi(x)-\psi(-x)## which is definitely odd.
About ## \psi(x)## itself you know nothing, except that it satisfies 2.5.

This make sense ?

[edit] too much midnight oil. It does not make sense. Point is that at x and at -x ##\psi## satisfies the same differential equation. But I forgot ##\psi## is complex. So back to thinking about ##\partial^2 \over \partial x^2## for such a function. Would prefer to delete whole post, but Maylis has already responded. o:)

[edit] apparently the impulsive delete can't be compensated with ^z except for the smal part of the post you see in the edit window. Sorry I made a mess of it. o:)o:)

Last edited:
That is somewhat what I was getting at, I just was not able to make the distinction to add them as a linear combination. But I think my reasoning was along the right lines. I was saying if equation 2.5 is equal to zero, and if ##V(x) = V(-x)##, then substituting with ##\psi (-x)## has to be zero as well.

I think I am missing a sublety in your answer, how do you know ##\psi(x) + \psi(-x)## is even and ##\psi(x) - \psi(-x)## is odd?

Last edited:
Dear Maylis,

Sorry, my post #9 was dumb and I made it even worse when I tried to massage the stupid parts

Maylis said:
That is somewhat what I was getting at, I just was not able to make the distinction to add them as a linear combination. But I think my reasoning was along the right lines. I was saying if equation 2.5 is equal to zero, and if ##V(x) = V(-x)##, then substituting with ##\psi (-x)## has to be zero as well.

I think I am missing a sublety in your answer, how do you know ##\psi(x) + \psi(-x)## is even and ##\psi(x) - \psi(-x)## is odd?

Nothing subtle about it: + gives the same when swapping x and -x - gives a - sign.

My head hurts, it seems like all I did was just say "it is a solution" because the linear combination is a solution, but how do I know that is a solution? This seems like some sort of circular reasoning to me and nothing has been actually done.

yes. First you must prove that ##\psi(-x)## is a solution. Then after that, you can start thinking about linear combinations. So just start with the first bit. Assuming that ##\psi(x)## is a solution, prove that ##\psi(-x)## is a solution.

I don't understand how to do that. So I will go with your first post and substitute ##x = -z##

$$ - \frac {\hbar^{2}}{2m} \frac {d^{2} \psi(-z)}{d(-z)^{2}} + [V(-z) - E] \psi(-z) = 0 $$

But now what?

Last edited:
In reply to #12:

My head hurts too :confused: for a different reason. Feel guilty about both :wink:. Fortunately Bruce is here to keep us sane...

Thing to show is that if ##\quad \psi(x)## is a solution ##\Rightarrow\quad \psi(-x)## is a solution too ##\quad##, right ? From there, combinations are, so we might as well look at odd and even solutions only when searching for solutions of 5.2. There may well be solutions that are not either odd or even, but those solutions can always be written as linear combinations of odd and even functions.

In other words: if we've shown that if ##\psi(x)## is a solution ##\Rightarrow\quad \psi(-x)## is a solution too, we've shown that for any arbitrary solution the even part and the odd part are both solutions. So in a search for solutions to 2.5 we can confine ourselves to all even and all odd solutions without missing any solution at all.

Now on to showing: perhaps it helps if we swap x for y. Corny. We get $$
- \frac {\hbar^{2}}{2m} \frac {d^{2} \psi(y)}{dy^{2}} + V(y) \psi(y) = E \psi(y)
$$then we swap y for something else, e.g. -x :smile:. Corny too ? We get $$
- \frac {\hbar^{2}}{2m} \frac {d^{2} \psi(-x)}{d(-x)^{2}} + V(-x) \psi(-x) = E \psi(-x) \qquad (1)
$$and now I hope I have found the right path to show you:

• V is even, so ##V(-x) = V(x)##. Then:
  • If you remember that ##{\partial \over \partial (-x)} = - {\partial \over \partial x}##, then what about
##\partial^2 \over \partial (-x)^2## in relation to ##\partial^2 \over \partial x^2## ? Right ! Eureka ! So
$$
- \frac {\hbar^{2}}{2m} \frac {d^{2} \psi(-x)}{d(x)^{2}} + V(x) \psi(-x) = E \psi(-x)
$$​

and this is the same equation for ##\psi(-x)## as 2.5 is for ##\psi(x)##.

In spite of the ##V(x)## looking out of place: now you can fill in a value for x to convince yourself that ##\psi(-x)## at x = 5 behaves itself according to the same
differential equation as ##\psi(x)## at x = 5

Likes gfd43tg
Okay, so the idea is that if I can manage to get the equation to look the same as 2.5, then it is a solution. One problem I have is that how to know ##\frac {d}{d(-x)} = - \frac {d}{dx}##, and thus ## \frac {d^{2}}{d(-x)^{2}} = \frac {d^{2}}{dx^{2}} ##?

You don't have to know it. You only have to see that the equation is unaltered, except for the replacement of ##\psi(x)## by ##\psi(-x)##:$$
\left [ \frac {\hbar^{2}}{2m} \frac {d^{2} }{dx^{2}} + \bigl ( E-V(x)\bigr ) \right ] \ \psi(-x) = 0
$$

Maylis said:
Okay, so the idea is that if I can manage to get the equation to look the same as 2.5, then it is a solution.
yep! specifically, ##f(x)## is a solution exactly in the cases where
[tex]- \frac {\hbar^{2}}{2m} \frac {d^{2} f(x)}{dx^{2}} + V(x) f(x) = E f(x)[/tex]
And in our case, we are trying to show that ##f(x)= \psi(-x)## is a solution.

Maylis said:
One problem I have is that how to know ##\frac {d}{d(-x)} = - \frac {d}{dx}##, and thus ## \frac {d^{2}}{d(-x)^{2}} = \frac {d^{2}}{dx^{2}} ##?
try the chain rule.

Likes BvU

What is the meaning of "proving ##\psi## can be real or not, even or odd"?

This refers to the concept of determining the properties of a function or wavefunction, specifically whether it is real or complex, and whether it is even or odd.

What is the significance of proving ##\psi## to be real or not?

In physics and mathematics, proving the reality of a function or wavefunction is important in understanding the behavior and properties of physical systems. It can also reveal underlying symmetries and conservation laws.

What does it mean for a function to be even or odd?

An even function is one that is symmetric about the y-axis, meaning that ##f(x) = f(-x)##. An odd function is one that is symmetric about the origin, meaning that ##f(x) = -f(-x)##. These properties can help simplify calculations and provide insight into the behavior of a function.

How can one prove whether ##\psi## is real or not?

To prove that a function is real, one must show that its imaginary component is equal to zero for all values of the independent variable. This can be done by finding the complex conjugate of the function and showing that it is equal to the original function. To prove that a function is not real, one must show that its imaginary component is not equal to zero for at least one value of the independent variable.

What are some examples of functions that are both real and even, real and odd, complex and even, and complex and odd?

An example of a real and even function is ##f(x) = x^2##, while an example of a real and odd function is ##f(x) = x^3##. A complex and even function could be ##f(x) = e^{ix} + e^{-ix}##, and a complex and odd function could be ##f(x) = x + ix^2##.