1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving range of transformation

1. Oct 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I haven't learned kernel yet so if thats of use here I don't know it yet

let ##T: \mathbb{R^3} \rightarrow \mathbb{R^2}## where ##T<x,y,z>=<2y,x+y+z>##

prove that the range is ##\mathbb{R^2}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that T is not one-to-one, I checked that for a previous question. I did read if the range is ##\mathbb{R^n}## then T is onto. but I am not really sure how to prove the range is ##\mathbb{R^2}##

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2014 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

A good way to do this is to choose any (a,b) in ##\mathbb{R}^2##. Since they are arbitrary points in the range, if you can find a general form for them which is in the domain (in this case ##\mathbb{R}^3##), then the range is the entirety of ##\mathbb{R}^2##.

4. Oct 6, 2014 #3
    so it goes both way "if ##T## is onto ##\Leftarrow\Rightarrow## the range is ##\mathbb{R^n}##"

thanks

I think I was misunderstanding what range meant in this sense.

5. Oct 7, 2014 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Since T is a transformation to ##\mathbb{R^2}## what you said should refer to that space, not ##\mathbb{R^n}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted