Prove that range ##T'## = ##(\text{null}\ T)^0##

zenterix
Homework Statement
Prove the following theorem (Axler, Linear Algebra Done Right, Theorem 3.109)

Suppose ##V## and ##W## are finite-dimensional and ##T\in L(V,W)##. Then

(a) ##\text{dim range}\ T' = \text{dim range}\ T##

(b) ##\text{range}\ T'=(\text{null}\ T)^0##
Relevant Equations
(a)

##\text{dim null}\ T' = \text{dim null}\ T + \text{dim}\ W-\text{dim}\ V\tag{1}##

##=\text{dim} W'-\text{dim range}\ T'\tag{2}##

##=\text{dim}\ W-\text{dim range}\ T'\tag{3}##

From (1) and (3) we have

##\text{dim range}\ T'=\text{dim}\ V-\text{dim null}\ T=\text{dim range}\ T\tag{4}##
My question is about item (b).

(b)

Here is what I drew up to try to visualize the result to be proved

1698618821100.png

The general idea, I think, is that

1) ##(\text{null}\ T)^0## and ##\text{range}\ T'## are both subspaces of ##V'=L(V,\mathbb{F})##.

2) We can show that they have the same dimension.

3)We can show that ##\text{range}\ T' \subseteq (\text{null}\ T)^0##

4) From (2) and (3) we can prove that the two subspaces are in fact the same subspace.

Honestly, I did steps (1)-(3) myself and was looking for a way to infer (4) but didn't realize that I could use (2) and (3) to do so, so I looked at the proof in the book.

I'd like to know if there is another way to infer (4).

Here is what I have

##(\text{null}\ T)^0## is by definition all the linear functionals in ##V'## that map ##\text{null}\ T## to 0 in ##\mathbb{F}##.

For every ##\varphi\in W'##, the linear functional ##\varphi\circ T## maps ##\text{null}\ T## to 0 in ##\mathbb{F}##, so ##\varphi\circ T## is in ##(\text{null}\ T)^0##.

Now, at this point, it could be that there are other elements in ##(\text{null}\ T)^0## that are not one of the ##\varphi\circ T##.

How can I prove that this is not possible (in an alternative manner to (4))?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I found the answer to my question. It uses the dimensions as well.

Let's use a proof by contradiction.

Suppose there were an ##\alpha\in (\text{null }\ T)^0## that is not in ##\text{range}\ T'##.

From (a) we know that range ##T'## and range ##T## have the same dimension and so are isomorphic.

In addition, we have dim ##V## = dim null ##T## + dim range ##T##.

However, the dimension of the complement of null ##T## in ##V## also has dimension dim range ##T##.

Thus this complement is isomorphic with range ##T##.

Let ##v_1,...,v_n## be a basis for this complement subspace. ##\alpha\in(\text{null}\ T)^0## maps these to the scalars ##f_1, ..., f_n## in ##\mathbb{F}##.

##T## maps ##v_1,...,v_n## to ##w_1, ...,w_n## in range ##T##.

Let's define a ##\varphi\in W'## by ##\varphi(w_i)=f_i## for ##i=1,...,n##.

Then, ##\varphi\circ T## maps ##v_1,...,v_n## to ##f_1,...,f_n## and so ##\varphi\circ T=\alpha##.

Thus, ##\alpha\in \text{range}\ T'##, contradicting our initial assumption.

We can then infer, by proof by contradiction, that all vectors in ##(\text{null }\ T)^0## are in range ##T'##.

And since we have proved that range ##T'\subseteq (\text{null}\ T)^0## we can conclude that

$$\text{range}\ T'=(\text{null}\ T)^0$$

1. What does it mean to prove that range T' = (null T)^0?

Proving that range T' = (null T)^0 means showing that the range of the adjoint operator T' is equal to the annihilator of the null space of the original operator T.

2. How can I show that range T' = (null T)^0?

To show that range T' = (null T)^0, you can start by proving that any element in the range of T' is orthogonal to every element in the null space of T, and vice versa.

3. Why is it important to prove that range T' = (null T)^0?

Proving that range T' = (null T)^0 is important in functional analysis as it provides insights into the relationship between the range and null space of linear operators. It also helps in understanding the properties of adjoint operators.

4. Can you provide an example illustrating range T' = (null T)^0?

Sure! Consider a linear operator T on a finite-dimensional vector space V. If the adjoint operator T' has a range that is orthogonal to the null space of T, then range T' = (null T)^0.

5. Are there any applications of proving range T' = (null T)^0 in real-world scenarios?

Yes, the concept of proving range T' = (null T)^0 has applications in various fields such as signal processing, quantum mechanics, and image processing, where understanding the relationship between the range and null space of operators is crucial for analyzing and solving complex problems.