Proving that a subgroup is normal.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a proof for the normality of a subgroup H in Gl_2(Z_3). The elements of H are given, and it is noted that they have determinant 1 and trace 0. The conversation then suggests using a theorem from the textbook to show that H is normal, but the speaker is stuck. Another speaker suggests considering the subgroups of order 8 in SL_2(Z_3) and GL_2(Z_3). The conversation ends with the speaker planning to calculate the orders of these groups to continue their argument.
Artusartos

Homework Statement

How can we prove that a subgroup H of [itex]Gl_2(Z_3)[/itex] is normal?

These are the elements of H:

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}1&1\\1&2 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}1&2\\2&2 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}2&1\\1&1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}2&2\\2&1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]\begin{pmatrix} -1 & 0 \\0 & -1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 2 \\1& 0 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1 \\2 & 0 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

So the determinant of the elements is 1 and the trace is zero...and H additionally contains the identity element and the -identity element.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think I can find the left and right cosets and show that they are equal, because there are too many elements in [itex]Gl_2(Z_3)[/itex]. There is a theorem in our textbook that states,

Let H be a subgroup of G. Then H is normal in G if and only if there is a group structure on the set G/H of left cosets of H with the property that the canonical map π : G → G/H is a homomorphism. If H is normal in G, then the group structure on G/H which makes π a homomorphism is unique: we must have gH · gH = ggH for all g, g ∈ G. Moreover, the kernel of π : G → G/H is H. Thus, a subgroup of G is normal if and only if it is the kernel of a homomorphism out of G.

So I'm trying to use this and show that [itex]f: Gl_2(Z_3) \rightarrow Gl_2(Z_3)/H[/itex] is a homomorphism...but I'm stuck...

We know that [itex]f(a)f(b)=aHbH[/itex] and that [itex]f(ab)=abH[/itex]. But how can we show that aHbH=abH? Can anybody please give me a hint?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
All the elements of ##H## have determinant ##1##, so H is a subgroup of ##SL_2(Z_3)##. How many subgroups of order 8 does ##SL_2(Z_3)## have?

jbunniii said:
All the elements of ##H## have determinant ##1##, so H is a subgroup of ##SL_2(Z_3)##. How many subgroups of order 8 does ##SL_2(Z_3)## have?

Thanks, but I didn't read about [itex]SL_2(Z_3)[/itex] yet.

##SL_2(Z_3)## is the subgroup of ##GL_2(Z_3)## consisting of the matrices with determinant 1. What I have in mind is to try the following argument: (1) ##H## is characteristic in ##SL_2(Z_3)##; (2) ##SL_2(Z_3)## is normal in ##GL_2(Z_3)##; (3) therefore...?

In order to make that argument, you need to know the orders of ##GL_2(Z_3)## and ##SL_2(Z_3)##. Can you calculate these?

Last edited:
jbunniii said:
##SL_2(Z_3)## is the subgroup of ##GL_2(Z_3)## consisting of the matrices with determinant 1. What I have in mind is to try the following argument: (1) ##H## is characteristic in ##SL_2(Z_3)##; (2) ##SL_2(Z_3)## is normal in ##GL_2(Z_3)##; (3) therefore...?

In order to make that argument, you need to know the orders of ##GL_2(Z_3)## and ##SL_2(Z_3)##. Can you calculate these?

Alright, thanks :smile:

1. What does it mean for a subgroup to be normal?

A subgroup is normal if it remains unchanged under conjugation by elements of the larger group. In other words, for any element in the subgroup and any element in the larger group, the resulting conjugate will still be in the subgroup.

2. How do you prove that a subgroup is normal?

One way to prove that a subgroup is normal is by showing that it is the kernel of a homomorphism from the larger group to another group. Another way is by using the definition of normality and showing that the subgroup remains unchanged under conjugation.

3. Can a subgroup be both normal and non-normal?

No, a subgroup cannot be both normal and non-normal. It can either satisfy the definition of normality or not.

4. Why is it important to prove that a subgroup is normal?

Proving that a subgroup is normal is important because it allows us to simplify the structure of a group and make it easier to study. It also allows us to apply certain theorems and techniques that only work on normal subgroups.

5. Are all subgroups normal?

No, not all subgroups are normal. A subgroup can only be considered normal if it satisfies the definition of normality.