1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving that a subgroup is normal.

1. Mar 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How can we prove that a subgroup H of [itex]Gl_2(Z_3)[/itex] is normal?

These are the elements of H:

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}1&1\\1&2 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}1&2\\2&2 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}2&1\\1&1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]\begin{pmatrix}2&2\\2&1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]\begin{pmatrix} -1 & 0 \\0 & -1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 2 \\1& 0 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1 \\2 & 0 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

So the determinant of the elements is 1 and the trace is zero...and H additionally contains the identity element and the -identity element.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't think I can find the left and right cosets and show that they are equal, because there are too many elements in [itex]Gl_2(Z_3)[/itex]. There is a theorem in our textbook that states,

Let H be a subgroup of G. Then H is normal in G if and only if there is a group structure on the set G/H of left cosets of H with the property that the canonical map π : G → G/H is a homomorphism. If H is normal in G, then the group structure on G/H which makes π a homomorphism is unique: we must have gH · gH = ggH for all g, g ∈ G. Moreover, the kernel of π : G → G/H is H. Thus, a subgroup of G is normal if and only if it is the kernel of a homomorphism out of G.

So I'm trying to use this and show that [itex]f: Gl_2(Z_3) \rightarrow Gl_2(Z_3)/H[/itex] is a homomorphism...but I'm stuck...

We know that [itex]f(a)f(b)=aHbH[/itex] and that [itex]f(ab)=abH[/itex]. But how can we show that aHbH=abH? Can anybody please give me a hint?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

All the elements of ##H## have determinant ##1##, so H is a subgroup of ##SL_2(Z_3)##. How many subgroups of order 8 does ##SL_2(Z_3)## have?

4. Mar 10, 2013 #3
    Thanks, but I didn't read about [itex]SL_2(Z_3)[/itex] yet.

5. Mar 10, 2013 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##SL_2(Z_3)## is the subgroup of ##GL_2(Z_3)## consisting of the matrices with determinant 1. What I have in mind is to try the following argument: (1) ##H## is characteristic in ##SL_2(Z_3)##; (2) ##SL_2(Z_3)## is normal in ##GL_2(Z_3)##; (3) therefore...?

In order to make that argument, you need to know the orders of ##GL_2(Z_3)## and ##SL_2(Z_3)##. Can you calculate these?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  6. Mar 11, 2013 #5
    Alright, thanks :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted