Proving that T(u).T(V)=u.v if an only if A^T =A^-1

• Thread starter Myr73
  • Start date
In summary: I have u.v= u1v1+u2v2...UnVn = [u1 u2...un][v1 v2...vn]^T= u^TvThen for Au.Av= [A(u1) A(u2)...A(un)][A(v1) A(v2)...A(vn)]^T= Au^T AvBut I'm not sure where to go from there.You're making it more complicated than it needs to be. Just use ##x\cdot y=x^Ty## to rewrite ##u\cdot v## in terms of matrices and vectors involving A, u, and v. Then you'll see that the equality holds if and
Myr73
Let u and v be vectors in R^n , and let T be a linear operator on R^n. Prove that T(u).T(v)= u.v if and only if A^T=A^-1 where A is the standard matrix for T. What I have so far is --> If T is a linear operator on R^n, then ; T:R^n --> R^n
and if u and v be the vectors then ; T(u).T(V) = Au.Av
Where A is the standard matrix of T
{ and so we want Au.Av=u.v, which needs to be if and only if A^T=A^-1}

Therefore first we find what it means if A^T=A^-1
----> if A^T=A^-1 then multiplying both by A --> AA^T= I
Therefore the matrix A is and orthogonal matrix/
And so from the last statement , if Au.Av= u.v if and only if A^T=A^-1
Then --> Au.Av=u.v if and only if A is an orthogonal matrix.
Therefore we must prove that Au.Av= u.v means that this is only true if the matrix A is orthogonal.

This is where I am stuck I'm not sure how to prove this.
I'm not sure if this next part is necessary but I found that

u.v = u1v1+u2v2...UnVn

and that T(u)=A(u) such that a(11)u(1), a(12)u(2),..,a(1n)u(1)
a(21)u(1), a(22)u(2)...,a(2n)u(2)
a(n1)u(1), a(n2)u(2)...a(nn)u(n)

and same for T(v)=A(v) such that
a(11)v(1), a(12)v(2),..,a(1n)v(1)
a(21)v(1), a(22)v(2)...,a(2n)v(2)
a(n1)v(1), a(n2)v(2)...a(nn)v(n)

Im not sure if I need to develop T(u).T(v) further then A(u).A(v)..

I would really appreciate some help on this one, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that you're allowed to use ##Tu\cdot Tv=Au\cdot Av## without proof? If you use this, you don't even have to use the definition of "standard matrix for T". The simplest way to proceed is to use that ##x\cdot y=x^Ty##.

This is a valid approach even if you're not allowed to use ##Tu\cdot Tv=Au\cdot Av## without proof. You just have to do the proof as well. This is pretty straightforward if you expand u and v in the standard basis, and use the definitions of dot product, matrix multiplication, and "standard matrix for T".

Moderators: I moved the thread here from the linear algebra forum.

I only meant for example; Tu in matrix form would be [A][x] like -->a(11)u(1), a(12)u(2),..,a(1n)u(1)
a(n1)u(1), a(n2)u(2)...a(nn)u(n) ...Because A is the standard matrix of T. is that not the right way?

Also, I don't really understand what I am suppose to do with x.y=x^Ty

Myr73 said:
I only meant for example; Tu in matrix form would be [A][x] like -->a(11)u(1), a(12)u(2),..,a(1n)u(1)
a(n1)u(1), a(n2)u(2)...a(nn)u(n) ...Because A is the standard matrix of T. is that not the right way?
OK, you have a point. The observation you just made makes it obvious that ##Tu\cdot Tv=Au\cdot Av##. So I guess it's not necessary to do the proof I had in mind:
\begin{align}
&Tu\cdot Tv =\sum_{i,j} u_i v_j Te_i\cdot T e_j =\sum_{i,j,k,l} u_i v_j (Te_i)_k (Te_j)_l e_k\cdot e_l\\
&=\sum_{i,j,k,l} u_i v_j A_{ki} A_{lj}\delta_{kl} =\sum_{i,j,k} u_i v_j A_{ki} A_{kj}=\sum_k(Au)_k (Av)_k =Au\cdot Av
\end{align}

Myr73 said:
Also, I don't really understand what I am suppose to do with x.y=x^Ty
Use it to rewrite both sides of ##u\cdot v=Au\cdot Av##. You know how to deal with ##(Au)^T##, right?

Last edited:
no sorry, I'm unsure where to go from "Therefore we must prove that Au.Av= u.v means that this is only true if the matrix A is orthogonal."

If you rewrite ##u\cdot v=Au\cdot Av## using ##x\cdot y=x^Ty##, you should almost immediately see that the equality holds if and only if ##A## is orthogonal.

The general formula for the transpose of a product is ##(AB)^T=B^TA^T##. This follows almost immediately from the definitions:
$$((AB)^T)_{ij}=(AB)_{ji}=\sum_k A_{jk}B_{ki} =\sum_k (A^T)_{kj} (B^T)_{ik} =\sum_k (B^T)_{ik} (A^T)_{kj}=(B^TA^T)_{ij}.$$

ok, so are you meaning for vector u to be x and vector v to be y?

When you rewrite ##u\cdot v##, yes. Of course, that's not the only thing you need to rewrite.

Last edited:
hmm.. ok

1. What is the equation that needs to be proven?

The equation that needs to be proven is T(u).T(V)=u.v if and only if A^T =A^-1, where T(u) and T(V) are linear transformations, u and v are vectors, and A^T and A^-1 are the transpose and inverse of matrix A, respectively.

2. What do T(u) and T(V) represent in the equation?

T(u) and T(V) represent linear transformations, which are functions that map a vector to another vector in a linear manner. In other words, applying a linear transformation to a vector results in a new vector.

3. What does the equation prove?

The equation proves that the composition of two linear transformations, T(u) and T(V), is equivalent to the dot product of the vectors u and v, if and only if the transpose of matrix A is equal to its inverse. This demonstrates the relationship between linear transformations and matrix operations.

4. What is the significance of A^T =A^-1 in the equation?

The significance of A^T =A^-1 is that it ensures the inverse of a matrix can be obtained by transposing it. This is a fundamental property of invertible matrices and is crucial in proving the relationship between linear transformations and matrix operations.

5. How is this equation relevant in mathematics and science?

This equation is relevant in mathematics and science as it provides a deeper understanding of the relationship between linear transformations and matrix operations. It is also applicable in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science, where linear algebra is used to model and solve real-world problems.