Proving that the intersection of any two intervals is an interval

In summary: J is defined as the intersection of I1 and I2, so it contains all numbers that are in both I1 and I2. In other words, for a number to be in J, it must satisfy both the conditions of being in I1 and being in I2. To prove that J is an interval, you need to show that if x and z satisfy both conditions, then any number y between x and z must also satisfy both conditions, meaning it is in J. This can be done using the definitions of I1 and I2 as intervals. In summary, to prove that J is an interval, you need to show that if x and z are in J, then any number y between x and z is also
artfullounger
The question is as follows:

Prove that if I1, I2 are intervals and J = I1[itex]\cap[/itex]I2 then J is an interval.

To be honest I don't even know where to start. There's a "hint" that suggests that I first write out the definitions of I1, I2, J as intervals and of the intersection between I1 and I2, but that hasn't really enlightened me...

So I just have:

A subset In of ℝ is an interval if [itex]\forall[/itex] x,y,z [itex]\in[/itex] ℝ , x[itex]\in[/itex]In, z[itex]\in[/itex]In and x<y<z then y[itex]\in[/itex]In (I used n instead of 1 and 2 because I am too lazy to write it out twice. Also, substitute J in as appropriate xD )

I1[itex]\cap[/itex]I2 = {x: x[itex]\in[/itex]I1 and x[itex]\in[/itex]I2}

I don't know where to go from there basically. If someone could even so much as nudge me in the right direction I would be very appreciative :D

Physics news on Phys.org
how would you go about deciding if x was in (a,b)∩(c,d)?

i'll give an example, which you can play with:

what is (2,4)∩(3,5)? that is:

if 2 < x < 4 AND

3 < x < 5, can you express just one inequality that covers both at once?

Hmm, but is it mathematically rigorous enough to, in a proof, say something along the lines of "given I1 is the interval (I1a,I1b) and I2 is the interval (I2a,I2b) , I1[itex]\cap[/itex]I2
is the interval (I1a,I2b) and given J=I1[itex]\cap[/itex]I2=and interval, J is an interval" ?

Because I don't have any definitions or theorems to work with that say anything remotely similar, at least that I'm aware of...

Actually you probably couldn't tell me whether that was sufficient seeing as you did not set the questions nor are you marking them... ¬.¬

that's true...but, go ahead, answer the question of my earlier post:

what is (2,4)∩(3,5)?

2<x<5 ...right? Now I'm worried I've done something unbelievably stupid...

try drawing a picture.

right, I HAVE done something unbelievably stupid then...so 3<x<4 ¬.¬ so I would actually ahve to revise my previous interval suggestion as (I1b,I2a)=J as well...

Last edited:
hmm, it looks like 3 = max{2,3} and 4 = min{4,5}.

can you generalize?

(hint: suppose max{a,c} > min{b,d}. what is (a,b)∩(c,d) in this case).

well if the max of {a,c} > {b,d} then...would it be c>b, or would there be no interval?

as for generalizing...hmm...I have a kind of vague idea as to what I might say, btu I have no idea how to express it in a mathematical manner -_-

something along the lines of the interval being between greatest element of I1 that is also [itex]\in[/itex]I2 and least element of I2 that is also [itex]\in[/itex]I1

Last edited:
i've given you a hint as to "the general formula".

suppose L = max{a,c} < M = min{b,d}.

try to describe (a,b)∩(c,d) in terms of L and M.

now, to consider "half-open" and "closed intervals", you'll have to do a careful case-by-case analysis. make sure you don't overlook the situation:

L = M.

To show J is an interval, you want to show that if x, z ∈ J, then if x<y<z, then y ∈ J. The key thing here is to know what it means for a number to be in J.

1. What is an interval?

An interval is a set of real numbers between two given values, including the values themselves. It can be expressed in the form of [a, b], where a and b are the endpoints of the interval.

2. How do you prove that the intersection of two intervals is an interval?

To prove that the intersection of two intervals is an interval, we need to show that it satisfies the definition of an interval. This means that the intersection must contain all real numbers between the two endpoints of the intervals and include the endpoints themselves.

3. Can the intersection of two intervals be empty?

Yes, it is possible for the intersection of two intervals to be empty. This would occur if the two intervals do not overlap or share any common values.

4. What is the difference between open and closed intervals?

In an open interval, the endpoints are not included in the set of numbers, while in a closed interval, the endpoints are included. An open interval is represented as (a, b), while a closed interval is represented as [a, b].

5. How does the intersection of two intervals relate to the concept of sets?

The intersection of two intervals is similar to the intersection of two sets. It is the set of all elements that are common to both intervals. Just like sets, intervals can have empty intersections, non-empty intersections, and overlap with each other.