Proving the dor product of 4-vectors is Lorentz invariant

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
chipotleaway
Messages
174
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Let A and B be 4-vectors. Show that the dot product of A and B is Lorentz invariant.

The Attempt at a Solution


Should I be trying to show that [itex]A.B=\gamma(A.B)[/itex]?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks tiny-tim, I've got it now but I had to make one assumption to get the result I wanted, namely if [itex]A=(a_0, a_1, a_2, a_3)[/itex] and [itex]B=(b_0, b_1, b_2, b_3)[/itex], I had to assume [itex]a_0=ct_a[/itex] and [itex]b_0=ct_b[/itex] which is only for 4-position vectors, so I think my result only applies for 4-vectors!

EDIT: Oh wait, I guess I must've assumed I was dealing with 4-position vectors because I started with
[itex]A'=\gamma (a_0-\beta a_1, a_1 - ut_a, a_2, a_3)[/itex] and [itex]B'=\gamma (b_0-\beta b_1, b_1 - ut_b, b_2, b_3)[/itex]

EDIT 2: Added 3rd and 4th components to above expressions
 
Last edited:
hi chipotleaway! :smile:

sorry, I'm completely confused …

what is ta ? :confused:​

(and why do your final expressions only have two components instead of four?)
 
My bad, forgot to say what they were! [itex]t_a[/itex] is the time of the event of vector A (so, I think I've only done it for 4-position vectors, [itex]A=(ct_a, a_1, a_2, a_3)[/itex]

I forgot to put the other two components in as I left it out in my working to save space (fixed now)...but we don't have to apply the transformation to those as well directions do we? Because I think we could just arrange out coordinate system so that the motion takes place in one direction .
 
hi chipotleaway! :smile:
chipotleaway said:
I forgot to put the other two components in as I left it out in my working to save space (fixed now)...but we don't have to apply the transformation to those as well directions do we? Because I think we could just arrange out coordinate system so that the motion takes place in one direction .

yes that's ok …

though you really ought to say that you're choosing the "1" coordinate to be in the direction of u !
My bad, forgot to say what they were! [itex]t_a[/itex] is the time of the event of vector A (so, I think I've only done it for 4-position vectors, [itex]A=(ct_a, a_1, a_2, a_3)[/itex]

yes, using cta instead ao is probably a good idea, since it makes the dot product easier

but you can't then mix them both in the same expression …
chipotleaway said:
[itex]A'=\gamma (a_0-\beta a_1, a_1 - ut_a, a_2, a_3)[/itex] and [itex]B'=\gamma (b_0-\beta b_1, b_1 - ut_b, b_2, b_3)[/itex]
 
Yeah, I should state everything I assume!

When you say 'mix them both in the same expression'...do you mean the timelike and spacelike components, like
[itex]a_1-ut_a[[/tex] in [itex]A'[/itex]?[/itex]
 
chipotleaway said:
EDIT: Oh wait, I guess I must've assumed I was dealing with 4-position vectors because I started with
[itex]A'=\gamma (a_0-\beta a_1, a_1 - ut_a, a_2, a_3)[/itex] and [itex]B'=\gamma (b_0-\beta b_1, b_1 - ut_b, b_2, b_3)[/itex]
Why do you have ##a'_1 = \gamma(a_1-u t_a)## instead of ##a'_1 = \gamma(a_1-\beta a_0)##? Also, you shouldn't have ##a'_i =\gamma a_i## and ##b'_i = \gamma b_i## for i=2 and i=3.