SR: magnitude of a particle's 3-momentum

In summary: Your comments made it clear.In summary, the problem statement presents an equation for the magnitude of a particle's 3-momentum as seen by an experimentalist in terms of the particle's 4-momentum and the experimentalist's 4-velocity. After applying Lorentz's transformation, the solution shows that the correct equation should be ##|\vec p'| = \sqrt{(p \cdot u)^2 + (p \cdot p)}## rather than ##|\vec p'| = \sqrt{(p \cdot u)^2 + (p \cdot p)^2}## as stated in the textbook. This discrepancy is most likely due to a typo in the book.
lomidrevo

Homework Statement

We observe an experimentalist moving by with 4-velocity ##u^\mu## and a particle zipping by with 4-momentum ##p^\mu##. Show that magnitude of the particle's 3-momentum as seen by the experimentalist is given by
$$ |\vec p| = \left [ (p \cdot u)^2 + (p \cdot p)^2 \right ] ^{1/2}$$

Homework Equations

Scalar dot product between 4-vectors:
##p \cdot q = -p^0q^0 + p^1q^1 + p^2q^2 + p^3q^3 = -p^0q^0 + \vec p \cdot \vec q##

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's denote our reference frame as unprimed, and the experimentalist's frame of reference as primed. As the scalar dot product between two 4-vectors is invariant under Lorentz's transformation we can write:
##p \cdot p = p' \cdot p' = -p'^0p'^0 + \vec p' \cdot \vec p'##
##p \cdot u = p' \cdot u' = -p'^0u'^0 + \vec p' \cdot \vec u'##
but in the experimentalist frame of reference ##u'^\mu = (1, \vec 0)##, therefore the second equation can be written as:
##p \cdot u = p' \cdot u' = -p'^0##
and combining with the first equation, we get:
##\vec p' \cdot \vec p' = (p \cdot u)^2 + (p \cdot p)##
expressing for the magnitude of the 3-momentum as seen in the experimentalist's reference frame:
##|\vec p'| = \sqrt{(p \cdot u)^2 + (p \cdot p)}##

In the problem statement the ##(p \cdot p)^2## comes with power of 2 under the square root, in my solution it comes only with power of 1: ##(p \cdot p)##. Could you pls have a look at my solution and to advice whether I am wrong at some point? Or possibly, is there a typo in the textbook from where I got this problem?

Note: I believe it is obvious, but better to emphasize it: author uses such units, that ##c=1## and therefore it is omitted in the equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
The square in the ##p\cdot p## term leads to a dimensional inconsistency and is therefore quite clearly wrong.

Likes lomidrevo
lomidrevo said:
Or possibly, is there a typo in the textbook from where I got this problem?

As pointed out above, the book solution is wrong. I suspect the author got caught between writing ##p.p## and ##p^2##.

Likes lomidrevo
@Orodruin, @PeroK, thank you! I've suspected that the equation in the textbook might be wrong, but wasn't sure about that.

1. What is the definition of the magnitude of a particle's 3-momentum?

The magnitude of a particle's 3-momentum is a measure of the strength and direction of its motion in three-dimensional space. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both the particle's mass and its velocity.

2. How is the magnitude of a particle's 3-momentum calculated?

The magnitude of a particle's 3-momentum can be calculated using the equation p = mv, where p is the momentum, m is the mass, and v is the velocity of the particle.

3. Why is the magnitude of a particle's 3-momentum important in physics?

The magnitude of a particle's 3-momentum is important in physics because it is a conserved quantity, meaning it remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. It is also used to calculate other important quantities such as kinetic energy and angular momentum.

4. How does the magnitude of a particle's 3-momentum change in different reference frames?

The magnitude of a particle's 3-momentum remains constant in all reference frames, as it is a fundamental property of the particle. However, the direction of the momentum may change in different reference frames due to the effects of relativity.

5. Can the magnitude of a particle's 3-momentum ever be negative?

No, the magnitude of a particle's 3-momentum can never be negative. Momentum is a vector quantity and therefore has a direction, but the magnitude is always a positive value. A negative momentum value indicates that the particle is moving in the opposite direction of its defined positive direction.