Proving the Equivalence of Power Sets: A Challenge in Bijection

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
issacnewton
Messages
1,035
Reaction score
37
Hi

Here is the problem I am doing. Prove that

[tex]^{\mathbb{Z^+}}\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})\sim \mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})[/tex]

Where [itex]^{\mathbb{Z^+}}\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})[/itex] is the set of functions
from [itex]\mathbb{Z^+}[/itex] to [itex]\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})[/itex].

To prove this I will need to come up with some bijection from [itex]^{\mathbb{Z^+}}\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})[/itex] to [itex]\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})[/itex]

I am having hard time with this bijection. How do you map a subset of [itex]\mathbb{Z^+}[/itex] to some function from [itex]\mathbb{Z^+}[/itex] to
[itex]\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})[/itex]

I have been able to get some insight into the problem so far. I have proven that
[itex]\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})[/itex] is uncountable. So it means that any function
from [itex]\mathbb{Z^+}[/itex] to [itex]\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})[/itex] can not be onto.

I would appreciate further insight to attack the problem.

thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
micromass

I have already proved that for any set A

[tex]\mathcal{P}(A)\sim \; ^{A}\{\mbox{ yes,no }\}[/tex]

So putting yes=1 and no=0 and letting [itex]A= \mathbb{Z^+}[/itex] , we get what you
are saying. I have also proved that for any sets A,B,C

[tex]^{(A\times B)}C\;\sim \; ^{A}( ^{B}C)[/tex]

So how do things help me ?
 
ok I think I got it

I have already shown that [itex]\mathbb{Z^+}\times \mathbb{Z^+}\;\sim\; \mathbb{Z^+}[/itex]

Also I have shown previously that for any sets A,B,C,D if [itex]A\sim B[/itex] and [itex]C\sim D[/itex] then it follows that

[tex]^{A}C \;\sim \;^{B}D\cdots\;(1)[/tex]

and

[tex]\mathcal{P}(A)\;\sim\;\mathcal{P}(B)[/tex]

So it follows that

[tex]\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})\;\sim\;\mathcal{P}( \mathbb{Z^+}\times \mathbb{Z^+})\cdots\;(2)[/tex]

Since for any set A

[tex]\mathcal{P}(A)\;\sim\; ^{A}\{0,1\}[/tex]

we have

[tex]\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+}\times \mathbb{Z^+})\;\sim\; ^{(\mathbb{Z^+}\times \mathbb{Z^+} )} \{0,1\} \cdots\;(3)[/tex]

But for any sets A,B,C we have

[tex]^{(A\times B)}C\;\sim\; ^{A}( ^{B}C)[/tex]

So we have

[tex]^{(\mathbb{Z^+}\times \mathbb{Z^+} )} \{0,1\}\;\sim\; ^{\mathbb{Z^+}}(^{\mathbb{Z^+}} \{0,1\} )\cdots\;(4)[/tex]

so using equations 2, 3 and 4 ,due to transitivity of [itex]\sim[/itex] we can say that

[tex]\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})\;\sim\; ^{\mathbb{Z^+}}(^{\mathbb{Z^+}} \{0,1\} )<br /> \cdots\;(5)[/tex]

Now

[tex]\mathbb{Z^+}\;\sim \mathbb{Z^+}[/tex]

and

[tex]\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})\;\sim\; ^{\mathbb{Z^+}}\{0,1\}[/tex]

It follows from 1 that

[tex]^{\mathbb{Z^+}}\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})\;\sim\; ^{\mathbb{Z^+}}(^{\mathbb{Z^+}} \{0,1\} )[/tex]

Now using 5 , we can say that


[tex]^{\mathbb{Z^+}}\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})\;\sim\; \mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})[/tex]

thanks micromass, that was a lot of typing :cry:

I was thinking of coming up with some bijection. I think that's probably lot more difficult
in this case.
 
By the way I was wondering, if any bijection could be found between
[itex]^{\mathbb{Z^+}}\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})[/itex] and [itex]\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z^+})[/itex] ?
 
Yes, I think so. Notice that every element of [itex]\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z}^+)[/itex] is determined by a sequence of 0 and 1 (where 1 means that the corresponding element is in the subset). For example, the subset

[tex]\{1,4,5,10\}[/tex] is

[tex]1,0,0,1,1,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,...[/tex]

Now, given an element of [itex]{}^{\mathbb{Z}^+}\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z}^+)[/itex]. Such an element is a countable list of sequences. So such an element is given by

[tex]x_{1,1},x_{1,2},x_{1,3},x_{1,4},x_{1,5},...[/tex]
[tex]x_{2,1},x_{2,2},x_{2,3},x_{2,4},x_{2,5},...[/tex]
[tex]x_{3,1},x_{3,2},x_{3,3},x_{3,4},x_{3,5},...[/tex]
[tex]x_{4,1},x_{4,2},x_{4,3},x_{4,4},x_{4,5},...[/tex]
[tex]x_{5,1},x_{5,2},x_{5,3},x_{5,4},x_{5,5},...[/tex]

We wish to make an element of [itex]\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z}^+)[/itex] of that. So we wish to make one sequence of it. This is possible by following the diagonals. So an associated sequence would be

[tex]x_{1,1},x_{1,2},x_{2,1},x_{1,3},x_{2,2},x_{3,1},...[/tex]
 
Micromass, but how do we make sure that every element of [itex]\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z}^+)[/itex] has an element associated in [itex]{}^{\mathbb{Z}^+}\mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z}^+)[/itex] ?

For example consider [itex]\{1\} \in \mathcal{P}(\mathbb{Z}^+)[/itex] . How does your
diagonal argument work here ?