Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving the limit does not exist formally

1. Oct 17, 2013 #1
    So I've searched around quite a bit, and have been fairly unsuccessful when it comes to finding any sufficient material on disproving a limit using the epsilon delta def. I was wondering if any of you could recommend any good sources for learning how to disprove a limit using epsilon delta.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2013 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Both proving and disproving specific limits, for example to come up with narrow error estimates of the limit value, is generally an extremely tricky business.

4. Oct 17, 2013 #3
    Recall the definition of ##\lim_{x\rightarrow c}f(x) = l##
    $$\forall \epsilon > 0\ \exists\ \delta > 0 \ such\ that\ 0<|x-c|<\delta \implies |f(x) - l| < \epsilon$$
    Say that is it not true that ##lim_{x\rightarrow c}f(x) = l## this means
    $$\exists \epsilon > 0\ \forall\ \delta > 0\ , there\ is\ x\ satisfying\ 0< |x-c| < \delta \ but\ |f(x) - l| >= \epsilon$$

5. Oct 17, 2013 #4
    I understand the negation of the epsilon-delta statement, but you could say is there a particular way to approach such a task. When your trying to find an epsilon is there a general procedure you could perform. Or does it really just always change from limit to limit.

6. Oct 17, 2013 #5
    Here's an example:
    Disprove ##\lim_{x \rightarrow c}x+2 = c##
    we want to show for some ##\epsilon > 0## then ##\forall \delta>0##
    $$|x-c|<\delta \implies |(x+2) - c| >= \epsilon $$
    We know
    $$|(x+2) - c| = |(x-c) + 2|$$
    And let's say $$|x-c|<1$$
    Because remember that we are trying to show that there is an x in which the definition falls apart. So,
    $$-1 < x -c < 1 \implies |(x-c) + 2| > |-1 + 2| = 1$$
    So we can say that any ##\epsilon < 1## works. Notice that I chose |x-c| to be smaller than 2.
    HINT: really any ##\epsilon < 2## works
    EDIT: Just as arildno said, theses proofs can get REALLY tricky.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook