Proving two sides of equation for triangles

• Thread starter rum2563
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangles
and when you are learning, you should not be worried about the negatives. you should worry about what they mean... and only then if you have to, you should worry about taking care of them.
rum2563
[SOLVED] Proving two sides of equation for triangles

Homework Statement

In angle ABC, which is an isosceles triangle with <B = <C, show that
2cot(a) = tan(b) = cot(b)

Homework Equations

tan2a = 2tana / 1 - tan^2 a

tan (x - y) = tanx - tany / 1 + tanx tany

The Attempt at a Solution

Since it is isosceles, that means two sides are equal, therefore, <A = 180 - 2B

2cot(A) = 2cot (180 - 2B)
= 1 / 2tan(180 - 2B)
= 1 / 2(tan180 - tan2B / 1 + tan180 tan2B)
= 1 / 2(-tan2B)
= 1 / -2tan2B)
= 1 / -2(2tanB / 1 - tan^2 B)

After this, I get confused. Can someone please tell me if I am doing this right? Please help. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
rum2563 said:

Homework Statement

In angle ABC, which is an isosceles triangle with <B = <C, show that
2cot(a) = tan(b) = cot(b)

Homework Equations

tan2a = 2tana / 1 - tan^2 a

tan (x - y) = tanx - tany / 1 + tanx tany

The Attempt at a Solution

Since it is isosceles, that means two sides are equal, therefore, <A = 180 - 2B

2cot(A) = 2cot (180 - 2B)
= 1 / 2tan(180 - 2B)

that's your mistake.

2*cot(180 - 2B) = 2*[1/tan(180-2B)] = 2/tan(180-2B)

also, please uses parentheses... in your work here especially when dealing with fractions and sums in the numerator and denominator. people will get confused as to your exact meaning: for example this:

tan180 - tan2B / 1 + tan180 tan2B

means: tan180 - tan2B + (tan180)*(tan2B) the way you wrote it.

you should write:

(tan180 - tan2B) / (1 + tan180 tan2B )

Thanks for your help. Here is what I am getting:

2cot(a) = 2/tan(180-2B)
= 2 / {(tan180 - tan2b) / (1 + tan180tan2b)}
= 2 / {-tan2b / 1}
= 2 / {-2tanb / 1 - tan^2 b)

After this, i am still confused as to how to get the equation to equal to tanb - cotb.

Please do help. Thanks.

rum2563 said:
Thanks for your help. Here is what I am getting:

2cot(a) = 2/tan(180-2B)
= 2 / {(tan180 - tan2b) / (1 + tan180tan2b)}
= 2 / {-tan2b / 1}
= 2 / {-2tanb / 1 - tan^2 b)

After this, i am still confused as to how to get the equation to equal to tanb - cotb.

Please do help. Thanks.

2 / [-2tanb / (1 - tan^2 b)]

= [tex]2*(\frac{1-tan^2(b)}{-2tan(b)})[/tex]

=[tex]\frac{1-tan^2(b)}{-tan(b)}[/tex]

= -1/tan(b) + tan(b)
= -cot(b) + tan(b)
= tan(b) - cot(b)

Wow, thanks very much learningphysics. You have helped me so much and even shown me the answer. I was worried about the negative sign and how to get rid of it, but as soon as I saw your solution, I understood quickly the idea behind it. Thanks very much again.

rum2563 said:
Wow, thanks very much learningphysics. You have helped me so much and even shown me the answer. I was worried about the negative sign and how to get rid of it, but as soon as I saw your solution, I understood quickly the idea behind it. Thanks very much again.

no prob. you're welcome.

1. How do you prove two sides of an equation for triangles?

To prove two sides of an equation for triangles, you can use the Side-Angle-Side (SAS) theorem or the Side-Side-Side (SSS) theorem. The SAS theorem states that if two sides of one triangle are congruent to two sides of another triangle, and the included angle is congruent, then the triangles are congruent. The SSS theorem states that if all three sides of one triangle are congruent to all three sides of another triangle, then the triangles are congruent.

2. What is the purpose of proving two sides of an equation for triangles?

The purpose of proving two sides of an equation for triangles is to show that the triangles are congruent or similar. This can help in solving other problems involving the triangles, as congruent or similar triangles have equal angles and proportional sides.

3. What is the difference between proving two sides of an equation and proving two angles of a triangle?

Proving two sides of an equation for triangles involves showing that two sides of one triangle are congruent to two sides of another triangle. On the other hand, proving two angles of a triangle involves showing that two angles of one triangle are congruent to two angles of another triangle. Both methods can be used to prove congruence or similarity of triangles, but they focus on different elements of the triangles.

4. Can you use the Pythagorean theorem to prove two sides of an equation for triangles?

Yes, the Pythagorean theorem can be used to prove two sides of an equation for triangles. The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. If this relationship is satisfied for two triangles, then the triangles are congruent.

5. What are some real-life applications of proving two sides of an equation for triangles?

Proving two sides of an equation for triangles has many real-life applications, such as in construction and engineering. For example, engineers use congruent or similar triangles to determine the height of tall buildings or to design bridges. In addition, proving two sides of an equation for triangles is also used in navigation, surveying, and map-making.