1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving uniqueness of inverse by identity (Groups)

1. Sep 13, 2013 #1
    1. Which of the following is a group?
    To find the identity element, which in these problems is an ordered pair (e1, e2) of real numbers, solve the equation (a,b)*(e1, e2)=(a,b) for e1 and e2.

2. (a,b)*(c,d)=(ac-bd,ad+bc), on the set ℝxℝ with the origin deleted.

3. The question also asks for you to find the inverse and I think implicitly for associativity and then for commutativity. I've got the other three down, but the identity axiom is giving me trouble.

(a,b)*(a,b)-1=(aa-1-bb-1,ab-1+ba-1)
    Unless I'm really screwing up here, I think this implies that e1-e2 is the first value, which would be equivalent to e1. However, I don't know how to resolve the ab-1+ba-1) part.

I think I've been dropped from this class for a lack of prerequisites, but I think I'm still going to try and finish the class nonetheless.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2013 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

That certainly is a complex multiplication rule.

That won't work; it's not the case here that [itex](a,b)^{-1} = (a^{-1},b^{-1})[/itex] (what inverses did you assign to [itex](1,0)[/itex] and [itex](0, 1)[/itex], both of which are members of this alleged group?).

It is a consequence of the definitions that you cannot assign an inverse to an element until you have found the identity.

As suggested, you need to set [itex](a,b)*(e_1,e_2) = (ae_1 - be_2, ae_2 + be_1) = (a,b)[/itex] and solve for [itex]e_1[/itex] and [itex]e_2[/itex].

Then, to find [itex](a,b)^{-1} = (c,d)[/itex], set [itex](a,b)*(c,d) = (e_1,e_2)[/itex] and solve for [itex]c[/itex] and [itex]d[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted