1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group Theory: Is the following a valid Group?

1. Oct 8, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Is the following a valid group?

The values contained in the set of all real numbers ℝ, under an operation ◊ such that x◊y = x+y-1

2. Relevant equations

Axioms of group theory:
    Closure
    Associativity
    There must exist one identity element 'e' such that ex=x for all x
    There exists an inverse 'y' for every element such that xy = yx = e

3. The attempt at a solution

Testing of each axiom:

Closure: All x◊y will give a value existing in ℝ. Closure holds.

Associativity: Test: x◊y◊z
    = x◊(y◊z) = x◊(y+z-1) = x+y+z-2
    = (x◊y)◊z = (x+y-1)◊z = x+y+z-2
    Associativity holds.

Identity: e◊x = x
    Group definition says e◊x = e+x-1.
    Hence, e◊x = e+x-1 = x
    This is true for all x when e = 1
    There is an identity

Inverses: x◊y = y◊x = e = 1
    Meaning, x+y-1 = y+x-1
    x,y∈ℝ so the additive property defined by operation ◊ means that all elements will be able to have an inverse in ℝ such that x◊y=e
    Inverses exist

Final answer, YES THIS IS A GROUP.

So, that's my attempt at an answer. However I don't know if I've really gone about it the right way, or even if I'm correct. Thoughts?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't see anything wrong with what you did, although I have to admit it's been many years since I did this stuff.

4. Oct 8, 2015 #3
    Well, that's a positive enough response for now! Thanks :)

5. Oct 9, 2015 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The part about inverses can be improved a bit. You didn't make it clear how you know that each x has an inverse. The best way is to find a formula for the inverse of an arbitrary x.

6. Oct 9, 2015 #5
    Thanks, I've gone over it and written:

x◊y = x+y-1 = e = y+x-1 = y◊x
    Meaning
    y = e+1-x
    which is true and different for all x because it only uses addition to create the inverse

7. Oct 9, 2015 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Didn't you just show that e= 1? So you are saying that if y= 1+ 1- x= (1+ 1)- x= 2- x then x◊ y= x+ y- 1= x+ (2- x)- 1= 1.

8. Oct 10, 2015 #7
    I wasn't sure if I was 'allowed' to do a proof with e=1, or if I was supposed to keep it as 'e' so it's more general.

As I'm primarily a physics student, I haven't really done much on proofs before.

If the 'e=1' method is fine then I'll certainly use it! :biggrin:

9. Oct 10, 2015 #8

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can and should use it. The equality ##e=1## means that the symbols ##e## and ##1## represent the same element of the set. If they represent the same element, then the expression ##e+1-x## must represent the same element as the expression ##2-x##. In other words, since ##e=1##, we have ##e+1-x=2-x##.

Since you have completed the solution, I'll show you mine. It's essentially the same as yours.

For all ##x,y,z\in\mathbb R##, we have
    $$(x\diamond y)\diamond z= (x+y-1)+z-1= x+(y+z-1)-1=x\diamond(y\diamond z).$$ So ##\diamond## is associative. For all ##x\in\mathbb R##, we have
    $$x\diamond 1=x+1-1=x$$ and
    $$1\diamond x=1+x-1=x.$$ So ##1## is an identity of ##\diamond##. Let ##x\in\mathbb R##. We have
    $$x\diamond (2-x)=x+(2-x)-1=1$$ and
    $$(2-x)\diamond x=(2-x)+x-1=1.$$ Since ##1## is an identity of ##\diamond##, this means that ##2-x## is an inverse of ##x##. Since ##x## is an arbitrary element of ##\mathbb R##, this means that every element of ##\mathbb R## has an inverse.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted