Pruning a set of matrices (easy)

In summary: If they are linearly independent, then v_3 is in the span of v_1, v_2. If they are not linearly independent, then v_3 is not in the span of v_1, v_2.
sid9221
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33103477/prune.png

I am unsure if the the answer is:

[tex] {\begin{pmatrix}
2 & 1 \\
5 & 1
\end{pmatrix}},
{\begin{pmatrix}
3 & -1 \\
7 & 4
\end{pmatrix}} [/tex]

or

[tex] {\begin{pmatrix}
2 & 1 \\
5 & 1
\end{pmatrix}},
{\begin{pmatrix}
3 & -1 \\
7 & 4
\end{pmatrix}},
{\begin{pmatrix}
2 & 7 \\
-4 & 1
\end{pmatrix}} [/tex]

I'm pretty sure it's the second one but am a bit confused about when the algorithm stops.
Can someone confirm the answer ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
sid9221 said:

[tex] {\begin{pmatrix}
2 & 1 \\
5 & 1
\end{pmatrix}},
{\begin{pmatrix}
3 & -1 \\
7 & 4
\end{pmatrix}} [/tex]

or

[tex] {\begin{pmatrix}
2 & 1 \\
5 & 1
\end{pmatrix}},
{\begin{pmatrix}
3 & -1 \\
7 & 4
\end{pmatrix}},
{\begin{pmatrix}
2 & 7 \\
-4 & 1
\end{pmatrix}} [/tex]

I'm pretty sure it's the second one but am a bit confused about when the algorithm stops.

I have never encountered the word prune, but by context, I believe it is saying X is linearly dependent and you want to make a set Y (lin ind) from X that spans ##M_{2,2}## as well.

If that is the case, you just need to verify that none of the matrices in your 3 set are linearly dependent to the other two. If that is the case, then the 3 matrix set is correct.

sid9221 said:

[tex] {\begin{pmatrix}
2 & 1 \\
5 & 1
\end{pmatrix}},
{\begin{pmatrix}
3 & -1 \\
7 & 4
\end{pmatrix}} [/tex]

or

[tex] {\begin{pmatrix}
2 & 1 \\
5 & 1
\end{pmatrix}},
{\begin{pmatrix}
3 & -1 \\
7 & 4
\end{pmatrix}},
{\begin{pmatrix}
2 & 7 \\
-4 & 1
\end{pmatrix}} [/tex]

Lay them out as 4-dimensional vectors, then look for a subset that generates the whole span. In other words, start with the vectors
[tex] \begin{array}{l}v_1 = [2,1,5,1] \\v_2 = [3,-1,7,4] \\ v_3 = [5,-5,11,10] \\
v_4 = [2,7 -4,1]\end{array}[/tex] Obviously, [itex] v_1, v_2[/itex] are linearly independent.
Are the three vectors [itex] v_1, v_2, v_3[/itex] linearly independent? If not, [itex]v_3[/itex] is in the span of [itex] v_1, v_2.[/itex] If they are linearly independent, throw in [itex] v_4[/itex] and continue the test.

Note: you can do it all in one step, just by doing row operations on the 4x4 matrix with rows v_i. Basically, you are looking for solutions of the 4x4 linear system [itex] c_1 v_1 + c_2 v_2 + c_3 v_3 + c_4 v_4 = 0.[/itex]

RGV

What is pruning and why is it important when working with matrices?

Pruning is the process of removing unnecessary or redundant elements from a set of matrices. It is important because it can reduce the size and complexity of the matrices, making them easier to work with and improving the efficiency of calculations.

How do you determine which elements to prune from a set of matrices?

The decision of which elements to prune will depend on the specific problem or application. Generally, elements that have little impact on the overall result or are redundant can be pruned. This can be determined through mathematical analysis or trial and error.

What are some common techniques for pruning matrices?

Some common techniques for pruning matrices include thresholding, where elements below a certain threshold are set to zero, and rank reduction, where lower-ranked elements are pruned based on their impact on the overall result.

What are the potential benefits of pruning a set of matrices?

The benefits of pruning a set of matrices include improved efficiency and accuracy of calculations, reduced storage space, and easier interpretation of results. It can also help to identify important elements and relationships within the matrices.

Are there any potential drawbacks to pruning matrices?

One potential drawback of pruning matrices is that the pruning process may be time-consuming and require a lot of computational resources. Additionally, if not done carefully, pruning may result in a loss of important information or introduce errors into the calculations.