Pseudo forces on a person in a park-swing

• Thread starter marellasunny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the conversation revolves around the determination of the average normal stress in the links of a swing set, assuming that inertial forces can be neglected. There is confusion regarding where to include inertial or pseudo forces in the resolution of forces diagram, and whether inertial forces should be considered as reaction forces. The experts clarify that inertial forces are never part of Newton's third law and that they act on the same object, unlike action-reaction force pairs. The conversation ends with a discussion on the real and non-inertial forces exerted by the swing on the girl and vice versa.
marellasunny
This is a very basic question,I also attempt to learn more from it.Some additional info would also be of great help.
A girl whose mass is 40kg is using a swing set.The diameter of the wire used for constructing the links of the chain is 5mm.Determine the average normal stress in the links at the bottom of the swing,assuming that the INERTIAL FORCES CAN BE NEGLECTED.

Q.The question is regarding the INERTIAL FORCES.I have drawn the resolution of forces diagram(attached and I am not sure it's correct).Here,where does one include the inertial/pseudo forces in this accelerating frame of reference?

Q.Is this inertial force- 'pseudo' in the sense that the sagging of the swing appears from a imaginative force taking the swing as the reference frame?

Hope the questions are clear.Please view the attachment diagram.

Attachments

• person.jpg
    person.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 794
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ignoring inertial forces in this problem means that tension is due to supported weight only. You basically solve this problem for swing at lowest point and v=0.

Ignoring the mass of the chain and the swing, the only inertial force would be equal to the reaction force of the girl's 40kg body to centripetal acceleration, which is exerted onto the swing. From the swings rotating frame of reference the inertial force is the apparent centrifugal force exerted on the girls body. The swing exerts a real and non-inertial force onto the girl to oppose both the inertial force (swing frame of reference, or reaction force if using an inertial frame of reference) and weight.

As K^2 mentioned, it appears that you're supposed to assume that the girl and the swing are at rest, and not moving, but that isn't a very interesting problem, since the only force opposed by the chain is due to the girl's weight.

Last edited:
rcgldr said:
Ignoring the mass of the chain and the swing, the only inertial force would the reaction force
I find it very misleading to talk about inertial forces as reaction forces. Inertial forces are never part of a Newtons 3rd action-reaction pair.
rcgldr said:
of the girl's 40kg body to centripetal acceleration, which is exerted onto the swing.
There is no centripetal acceleration in the rest frame of the swing, where inertial forces appear. The swing and body are static here.
rcgldr said:
The swing exerts a real and non-inertial force onto the girl to oppose both the inertial force and weight.
This is correct. The real centripetal froce on the body by the swing is opposing the inertial centrifugal force on the body. But they are not an action-reaction pair. They both act on the same object (the body), unlike action-reaction force pairs which act on a different object each. The reaction force to the real centripetal force on the body by the swing is the real reactive centrifugal force on the swing by the body.

A.T. said:
I find it very misleading to talk about inertial forces as reaction forces.
My last edit to my post didn't take (the forum froze on me and I forgot to check my post later). I re-editted my previous post back to what I intended to post before, with some clarification. I only meant to state that the inertial force from the swing's frame of reference was equal to the reaction force from an inertial frame of reference.

Last edited:

1. What are pseudo forces and how do they affect a person on a park swing?

Pseudo forces, also known as fictitious forces, are forces that appear to act on an object in a non-inertial reference frame. In the context of a park swing, these forces are not real forces that are physically acting on the person, but rather an apparent force due to the acceleration and motion of the swing. These forces can cause a person to feel as though they are being pulled towards the center of the swing, even though there is no actual force pulling them in that direction.

2. Why do we experience pseudo forces on a park swing?

We experience pseudo forces on a park swing because the swing is in a non-inertial reference frame, meaning it is accelerating and changing direction. In this type of frame, Newton's laws of motion do not apply, and we must introduce pseudo forces to explain the motion of objects.

3. How do pseudo forces on a park swing affect our perception of motion?

Pseudo forces on a park swing can cause us to feel as though we are being pulled or pushed in directions that are not actually there. This can affect our perception of motion and make us feel as though we are moving faster or slower than we actually are.

4. Can pseudo forces on a park swing be harmful?

No, pseudo forces on a park swing are not harmful. They are simply an apparent force that does not actually exist. As long as the swing is functioning properly and within safe limits, there is no danger to the person on the swing.

5. How can understanding pseudo forces on a park swing be beneficial for scientific research?

Understanding pseudo forces on a park swing can be beneficial for scientific research because it allows scientists to accurately describe and predict the motion of objects in non-inertial reference frames. This can be useful in fields such as mechanics, astrophysics, and aerospace engineering.