Publisher/editor writing science textbooks

In summary, publishers and editors use programs and softwares to create their textbooks. These programs and softwares include art departments.
anmac1789
how do publishers and editors write and make mathematical function graphs and format their textbooks... ? what softwares and programs do calculus or chemistry publishers use to create their textbooks ? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
They have art departments for that.

Do you know any specifics?

@Orodruin published a textbook recently. He might have some insights.

If your figures are good enough as they are submitted you can provide your own figures as an author. If not it is up to the publisher’s art department in discussion with the author.

ok i wish they would say how they make mathematical function graphs it is so useful

Can't you just go to wolframalpha.com and plot whatever you want? Obviously not for like, commercial distribution, but if you want to see some well drawn plots.

Well, nowadays they get ready manuscripts from the authors. At least in my community (theoretical high-energy nuclear physics) you send your paper as a LaTeX file + figures (usually pdf's). Then they deform it by transforming it to another format and in the proofs you correct the errors ;-)). I've not yet written a textbook myself yet. I only know from my thesis advisor who once edited a big Lecture Notes in Physics volume. After the book got totally distorted by the editors we ended up to get it printed in color without extra fees, because of a huge delay.

I am actually curious how publishers from mcgraw hill and/or NELSON make textbooks...

• Informative
Likes berkeman and gentzen

What is the role of a publisher/editor in writing science textbooks?

A publisher/editor plays a crucial role in the development and production of science textbooks. They are responsible for selecting and commissioning authors, reviewing and editing content, designing and formatting the book, and overseeing the printing and distribution process.

What qualifications are required to become a publisher/editor for science textbooks?

To become a publisher/editor for science textbooks, one typically needs a strong background in science, preferably with a degree in a related field. They also need excellent writing and editing skills, as well as knowledge of the publishing industry and current trends in science education.

How do publishers/editors ensure the accuracy and relevance of information in science textbooks?

Publishers/editors use a variety of methods to ensure the accuracy and relevance of information in science textbooks. This includes working with subject matter experts, conducting thorough fact-checking and peer review processes, and staying up-to-date on the latest scientific research and discoveries.

What are some common challenges faced by publishers/editors when writing science textbooks?

Some common challenges faced by publishers/editors when writing science textbooks include finding qualified and knowledgeable authors, balancing the need for scientific accuracy with readability and engaging content, and meeting tight deadlines while maintaining high quality standards.

How can publishers/editors make science textbooks more accessible and inclusive for all students?

Publishers/editors can make science textbooks more accessible and inclusive by using clear and concise language, providing diverse examples and perspectives, incorporating visual aids and interactive elements, and addressing any potential biases or stereotypes in the content.