Classic German Science Textbooks and Writings

In summary, the conversation is about recommendations for classic German textbooks or writings in Physics and Mathematics. The speaker prefers undergraduate level but is open to other important works. They are also interested in learning German physics and mathematical terms and mention their good German reading level. Another person mentions "Sommerfeld, Vorlesungen über Theoretische Physik" as the best textbooks on theoretical physics ever written, with Vol. VI on PDE's being particularly marvelous. They also note that many later Nobel Prize winners were students of Sommerfeld. The availability of the book in the open domain is also discussed.
Seydlitz
I wonder if the German speaking members have recommendation to classic German textbooks or writings in Physics and Mathematics. I prefer undergraduate level but you can of course share other important works. I am also interested in learning German physics and mathematical terms since they have very small similarities to English. My German reading level is quite I good in that I can understand most of general texts already.

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion the best textbooks on theoretical physics ever written are

Sommerfeld, Vorlesungen über Theoretische Physik

Although in some points a bit old fashioned (e.g., in using the "ict convention" in relativity) they are just marvelous in explaining the mathematical methods as applied to theoretical physics. Particularly Vol. VI on PDE's is just marvelous.

Note that a lot of later Nobel Prize winners were Sommerfeld's students!

vanhees71 said:
In my opinion the best textbooks on theoretical physics ever written are

Sommerfeld, Vorlesungen über Theoretische Physik

Although in some points a bit old fashioned (e.g., in using the "ict convention" in relativity) they are just marvelous in explaining the mathematical methods as applied to theoretical physics. Particularly Vol. VI on PDE's is just marvelous.

Note that a lot of later Nobel Prize winners were Sommerfeld's students!

Seems very interesting, has this book been available in open domain or does it still remain proprietary?

1. What are some classic German science textbooks and writings?

Some classic German science textbooks and writings include "Die Physik" by Albert Einstein, "Die Entstehung der Arten" by Charles Darwin, "Die Chemie" by Justus von Liebig, "Die Astronomie" by Johannes Kepler, and "Die Botanik" by Carl Linnaeus.

2. Why are these textbooks and writings considered classic?

These textbooks and writings are considered classic because they laid the foundation for many scientific principles and theories that are still relevant and influential today. They were also written by some of the most renowned scientists in history.

3. Are these textbooks and writings still used in modern science education?

Yes, many of these classic German science textbooks and writings are still used in modern science education. They provide a strong historical and theoretical background for current scientific studies and research.

4. Are these textbooks and writings only relevant to German science?

No, these textbooks and writings have had a global impact on the field of science. They have been translated into multiple languages and have been studied and referenced by scientists all over the world.

5. Can non-scientists benefit from reading these textbooks and writings?

Absolutely. These classic German science textbooks and writings offer valuable insights into the world of science, and can be enjoyed and appreciated by anyone with an interest in the subject. They also provide a glimpse into the historical and cultural context in which these scientific ideas were developed.