1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classic German Science Textbooks and Writings

1. Aug 28, 2013 #1
    I wonder if the German speaking members have recommendation to classic German textbooks or writings in Physics and Mathematics. I prefer undergraduate level but you can of course share other important works. I am also interested in learning German physics and mathematical terms since they have very small similarities to English. My German reading level is quite I good in that I can understand most of general texts already.

Thank You

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2013 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

In my opinion the best textbooks on theoretical physics ever written are

Sommerfeld, Vorlesungen über Theoretische Physik

Although in some points a bit old fashioned (e.g., in using the "ict convention" in relativity) they are just marvelous in explaining the mathematical methods as applied to theoretical physics. Particularly Vol. VI on PDE's is just marvelous.

Note that a lot of later Nobel Prize winners were Sommerfeld's students!

4. Aug 29, 2013 #3
    Seems very interesting, has this book been available in open domain or does it still remain proprietary?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted