Publishing in physics after no longer having a university job?

• Other
  • Thread starter Manphysics
  • Start date
I'm a university physics professor. I'm currently employed, but next year that can change. Can I easily publish academic papers on Theoretical Physics without any institutional affiliation at all? It seems to me that good peer-reviewed journals tend to extra-officially consider the university affiliation.

Answers and Replies

Dr. Courtney
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Colleagues and I have published in a number of disciplines listing the affiliation as my small consulting company, including papers in Review of Scientific Instruments, The Physics Teacher, Physics Education, NeuroImage, Brain Injury, and Journal of Engineering Mechanics. Not sure why theoretical physics would be any different.

It's hard to be sure, but it's never seemed to us that the lack of a university affiliation has been a hindrance in the editorial or peer-review process.

• Informative
Likes Keith_McClary and Manphysics
Thank you very much; I'm concerned because, for a Theoretical physicists, being outside universities means no affiliation at all. I'd publish as a person.

Dr. Courtney
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
Thank you very much; I'm concerned because, for a Theoretical physicists, being outside universities means no affiliation at all. I'd publish as a person.

You could do that, or you could just make up the name of a consulting business. In most states in the US, individuals may conduct business under just about any name they choose (as long as it is not taken by another party) with little or no paperwork, especially if you are not spending or making money. One can create your own research affiliation by fiat.

Sally Q. Physicist
ABC Research
123 Side Street #714
Big City, IN 42150

Likes Keith_McClary and Manphysics