1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulley question to determine the weight at a certain angle

1. Apr 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An assembly shown in the picture, GH , HK, HNL are three cables. the mass of box L is 52Kg,
    a) determine the mass of box K in order to make angle theta as 25 degrees

2. Relevant equations
    Fx=0
    Fy=0

3. The attempt at a solution
    Fhn x cos(25) = Fhg x cos(0)
    fhn x sin(25) = 52kg
    fhn(sin25 x cos25) =39kg

doesnt look right to me. steps on how to do it would be great & guidance through it rather than telling me its a static equillibrium question or just over complicating it. thank you for giving it a look

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2012 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

that's Fxnet =0 and Fynet = 0. Yep!
    yes, good
    hmmm, if you look at the box L of mass = 52 kg, then the tension force in NL is ??? And then HN = NL.
    What's this?

Once you get HN by looking at the forces acting on L and using Newton 1 to solve forn NL. Now you calculate Fhg from your first equation.

At joint H, the vert comp of HN must equal the tension in HK, per newton 1 in the y direction, and then look at the forces acting on K to solve for its mass .
    doesnt look right to me. steps on how to do it would be great & guidance through it rather than telling me its a static equillibrium question or just over complicating it. thank you for giving it a look[/QUOTE]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook