Pulley system to reduce effort pulling fabric around a wooden rod

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
vaas44
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I would like to design an efficient pulley system to pull a fabric which is wrapped around a wooden rod. Is there any pulley system which can reduce the effort to 1/3 rd of the actual?

I have attached some images of the setup.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=433804"
 
Attachments
  • side-view.JPG
    side-view.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 482
  • cylinder-pull3.JPG
    cylinder-pull3.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 514
  • pulley3.JPG
    pulley3.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 479
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
vaas44, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Although I cannot suggest any different pulley system to diminish the pulling effort, I will offer this: Examine the whole system for moving parts that have friction. Then install ball bearings or teflon sleeves. Reducing friction will reduce the force necessary to pull the fabric.

Good luck and Happy New Year!