Pulse echo technique to find the distance of the Moon

In summary, reflectors placed by Apollo astronauts on the surface of the Moon are still used by observatories on Earth to measure the distance to the Moon. Scientists have determined that the Moon is approximately 363104 km at its closest and 405696 km at its furthest from Earth. The distance is determined by reflecting pulses of laser light from the reflectors and measuring the time it takes for the pulse to return. The precision of the distance to the Moon, measured to the nearest km, is justified by the fact that the pulse length used for the measurement is only 6 cm. This means that the uncertainty in the distance measurement should be less than the quoted value. However, some students did not understand this and focused on significant figures instead
Javeria

Homework Statement

[/B]
Over 40 years ago, the Apollo astronauts placed reflectors on the surface of the Moon. These are still used by a number of observatories on Earth to monitor the distance to the Moon by reflecting pulses of laser light from them and detecting the reflected signal. Scientists have determined that the Moon is at a distance of 363104 km at its closest and 405696 km at its furthest. It has also been determined that the Moon is getting about 3.8 cm further away from the Earth each year.

(a) Describe how the reflected pulses can be used to determine the distance to the Moon. (2)
Ans a- (already done) d = (s * t) / 2, where s is the speed of light and t is time for return trip.

(b) An observatory sends out pulses of laser light of duration 2.0 × 10^-10 s when it is determining the distance to the Moon.

(i) Calculate the pulse length. (2)
Ans b(i)- (already calculated) 0.06m or 6cm

(ii) Discuss whether the levels of precision quoted for the distance to the Moon and its rate of increasing distance from the Earth are justified. (2)
Ans b(ii)- (cannot understand)

The Attempt at a Solution

markscheme(ms):
Distance is to the nearest km but pulse length is to the nearest mm, so acceptable (accept pulse length to nearest cm) (1)
Not acceptable because 6.0 cm pulse is longer than 3.8 cm, Or The distance is calculated from a difference over 40 years, so it is over a metre, so it is acceptable compared to 6.0 cm (1)

examiners report(er):
Few students scored on this question. Many focused on significant figures, missing the point that using a pulse a few centimetres long justifies quoting an answer to the nearest kilometre despite there being 6 significant figures in the kilometre value. They did not realize that the uncertainty should be less than the quoted value, or link the length of the pulse with uncertainty at all.

I looked into these after failing to understand the question. The answer i wrote was completely wrong.
My answer: The distances are in km while the answer in cm. Then i calculated the % increase of distance to the moon using the rate of increasing distance from the Earth for some reason.
405696 * (100.000038/100) = 405696.15
(0.154/405696) * 100 = 3.8 * 10^-5 increase so not justified
Completely wrong. After reading the ms and er i still don't understand this question.
Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's start simple.

Suppose that we transmit the pulse toward the moon, obtaining a perfectly accurate time stamp for the time of transmission of the pulse midpoint. Suppose that we get one photon back and obtain a perfectly accurate time stamp for the time of reception of this photon.

How much could our resulting calculated distance vary from the true distance due to the finite pulse width?

[Note that the one photon supposition is reasonably correct. Wiki says... "Out of 1017 photons aimed at the reflector, only one is received back on Earth every few seconds, even under good conditions."]

jbriggs444 said:
Let's start simple.

Suppose that we transmit the pulse toward the moon, obtaining a perfectly accurate time stamp for the time of transmission of the pulse midpoint. Suppose that we get one photon back and obtain a perfectly accurate time stamp for the time of reception of this photon.

How much could our resulting calculated distance vary from the true distance due to the finite pulse width?

[Note that the one photon supposition is reasonably correct. Wiki says... "Out of 1017 photons aimed at the reflector, only one is received back on Earth every few seconds, even under good conditions."]

Are you asking how the pulse length and distance are related?
The pulse length has to be double the distance being calculated
Is this what you were asking? I am so sorry, I am really confused right now.
How can the pulse width affect the distance? Isnt length the only thing that matters here?

Javeria said:
Are you asking how the pulse length and distance are related?
How can the pulse width affect the distance? Isnt length the only thing that matters here?
How are pulse length and measurement error related? I wrote "width" but meant length -- the distance between leading and trailing edges. Sorry, did not mean to confuse you with that.

The pulse length is most certainly not double the distance being calculated. The distance to the moon is much greater than 3 cm.

Likes Javeria
jbriggs444 said:
How are pulse length and measurement error related? I wrote "width" but meant length -- the distance between leading and trailing edges. Sorry, did not mean to confuse you with that.

The pulse length is most certainly not double the distance being calculated. The distance to the moon is much greater than 3 cm.

Ohh its okaay
Yeps yeps got that too
The calculated and true value won't be as different?

Javeria said:
Ohh its okaay
Yeps yeps got that too
The calculated and true value won't be as different?
How much different can they be?

jbriggs444 said:
How much different can they be?
Less than the pulse length or around the length of the pulse

Javeria said:
Less than the pulse length or around the length of the pulse
How about a calculation and a numerical result?

jbriggs444 said:
How about a calculation and a numerical result?

You won't just give an answer, will you?
Supposing 6cm difference then
Uncertainty = (6*10^-5/405696)*100
= (+-)1.48*10^-8%
Im not sure if I am doing it right

Javeria said:
You won't just give an answer, will you?
Simply giving the answer is against the rules here.

Supposing 6cm difference then
This is a 6cm difference between the maximum possible measured round-trip distance and the lowest possible.

That is not the same thing as the maximum possible error in the one-way distance. I am not trying to get you to calculate relative error. I am trying to ask for the maximum absolute error in the calculated one-way distance measurement.

Likes Javeria
This is a 6cm difference between the maximum possible measured round-trip distance and the lowest possible.

That is not the same thing as the maximum possible error in the one-way distance. I am not trying to get you to calculate relative error. I am trying to ask for the maximum absolute error in the calculated one-way distance measurement.[/QUOTE]

So, 3cm?
'This is a 6cm difference between the maximum possible measured round-trip distance and the lowest possible'.
How was i supposed to know this? Its not mentioned anywhere

jbriggs444 said:
Simply giving the answer is against the rules here.This is a 6cm difference between the maximum possible measured round-trip distance and the lowest possible.

That is not the same thing as the maximum possible error in the one-way distance. I am not trying to get you to calculate relative error. I am trying to ask for the maximum absolute error in the calculated one-way distance measurement.

So, 3 cm?
How was i supposed to know its been the max and lowest? How did you know? It doesn't say this anywhere in the question.

Javeria said:
So, 3 cm?
How was i supposed to know its been the max and lowest?
Re-read post #2.

We send a pulse. We start a timer at the halfway point between when the leading edge of the pulse has been transmitted and when the trailing edge of the pulse has been transmitted. We stop the timer when a photon is detected.

The detected photon could have been from the leading edge of the pulse. In which case we started the timer 3 cm too late to get a perfect measurement. When we compute the delta time, we'll be 3 cm short.

The detected photon could have been from the midpoint of the pulse. In which case we started the timer exactly right.

The detected photon could have been from the trailing edge of the pulse. In which case we started the timer 3 cm too early to get a perfect measurement. When we compute the delta time, we'll be 3 cm long.

If we were reporting the round trip distance this would give an error range of ±3 cm around the correct result. But we are not reporting the round trip distance. We are reporting the one way distance.

Note: I am using "cm" as a unit of time meaning "the time it takes light to go 1 cm".

Likes Javeria
jbriggs444 said:
Re-read post #2.

We send a pulse. We start a timer at the halfway point between when the leading edge of the pulse has been transmitted and when the trailing edge of the pulse has been transmitted. We stop the timer when a photon is detected.

The detected photon could have been from the leading edge of the pulse. In which case we started the timer 3 cm too late to get a perfect measurement. When we compute the delta time, we'll be 3 cm short.

The detected photon could have been from the midpoint of the pulse. In which case we started the timer exactly right.

The detected photon could have been from the trailing edge of the pulse. In which case we started the timer 3 cm too early to get a perfect measurement. When we compute the delta time, we'll be 3 cm long.

If we were reporting the round trip distance this would give an error range of ±3 cm around the correct result. But we are not reporting the round trip distance. We are reporting the one way distance.

Note: I am using "cm" as a unit of time meaning "the time it takes light to go 1 cm".

Oh now i get it, thank youu
So for one way (+-) 1.5 cm?

Javeria said:
Oh now i get it, thank youu
So for one way (+-) 1.5 cm?
Yes.

Now ±1.5 cm is plenty good enough to justify quoting distance figures to the nearest 1 km. So there is no indication [from this evidence] that the figures for the current distance to the moon, e.g.
"363104 km at its closest and 405696 km at its furthest"
are reported with too much accuracy. If anything, their accuracy [based on this error analysis alone] is understated.

Taken at face value, an error range of ±1.5 cm would mean that a figure of 3.8 cm per year is questionable. If one were to make two measurements, twelve months apart, subtract them and report the delta as the "annual rate at which the moon is receding", what would be the maximum possible error (in cm/year)?

But, if one were to make two measurements, 40 years apart, subtract them and report the ##\frac{delta}{40}## as the "annual rate at which the moon is receding", what then would be the maximum possible error (in cm/year)?

Now, for extra credit, go back to the ±1.5 cm error we computed based on pulse length. Can you think of any way to improve upon that figure? What if we ran multiple experiments, for instance?

Last edited:
Likes Javeria
jbriggs444 said:
Now ±1.5 cm is plenty good enough to justify quoting distance figures to the nearest 1 km. So there is no indication [from this evidence] that the figures for the current distance to the moon, e.g. are reported with too much accuracy. If anything, their accuracy [based on this error analysis alone] is understated.

Taken at face value, an error range of ±1.5 cm would mean that a figure of 3.8 cm per year is questionable. If one were to make two measurements, twelve months apart, subtract them and report the delta as the "annual rate at which the moon is receding", what would be the maximum possible error (in cm)?

But, if one were to make two measurements, 40 years apart, subtract them and report the ##\frac{delta}{40}## as the "annual rate at which the moon is receding", what then would be the maximum possible error (in cm)?

Now, for extra credit, go back to the ±1.5 cm error we computed based on pulse length. Can you think of any way to improve upon that figure? What if we ran multiple experiments, for instance?

I gett it noow, thank youuu soo muuch.
Im not sure how to calculate the 1 year and 40 years max possible error but i get that for a year its going to be less than the 40 year difference, right?
Yess and taking the average of the results or using a shorter length of pulse so the maximum possible errors are smaller

Javeria said:
Im not sure how to calculate the 1 year and 40 years max possible error but i get that for a year its going to be less than the 40 year difference, right?
Well, let's go over it.
You have a starting distance that you've measured to within ±1.5 cm. You have an ending distance that you've measured to ±1.5 cm.

If you measured the starting distance and came out 1.5 cm high and then measured the ending distance and came out 1.5 cm low, you could calculate that the moon is approaching the Earth at 3.0 cm per [whatever time interval you chose]. Similarly if the starting distance came out low the end ending distance came out high, you'd calculate that the moon is receding at 3.0 cm per time interval.

Are you with me so far?
Javeria said:
Yess and taking the average of the results or using a shorter length of pulse so the maximum possible errors are smaller

Yes, the one I was aiming for was taking the average of the results.

Likes Javeria
jbriggs444 said:
Are you with me so far?

Yesss

OK. So ±3 cm over a one year interval is ± 3 cm per year in terms of a movement rate. But ±3 cm over a 40 year span is only 3/40 ~= .1 cm per year.

That matches the precision of the reported value (3.8 cm per year).

Likes Javeria
jbriggs444 said:
OK. So ±3 cm over a one year interval is ± 3 cm per year in terms of a movement rate. But ±3 cm over a 40 year span is only 3/40 ~= .1 cm per year.

That matches the precision of the reported value (3.8 cm per year).

I finally got it, thank youuu

Likes jbriggs444

1. How does the pulse echo technique work to find the distance of the Moon?

The pulse echo technique involves sending a short burst of sound waves towards the Moon and measuring the time it takes for the waves to bounce back. By knowing the speed of sound and the time it took for the echo to return, we can calculate the distance to the Moon using the formula distance = speed x time.

2. What equipment is needed for the pulse echo technique?

To use the pulse echo technique, you will need a powerful sound source, such as a radar or a laser, and a sensitive receiver to detect the echoes. The equipment must also be able to accurately measure time and distance.

3. How accurate is the pulse echo technique in determining the distance of the Moon?

The pulse echo technique is very accurate, with a margin of error of only a few meters. This is because sound waves travel at a constant speed, so any variation in the time measurement is likely due to human error rather than the technique itself.

4. Can the pulse echo technique be used to measure the distance of other celestial bodies?

Yes, the pulse echo technique can be used to measure the distance of other celestial bodies, such as planets and asteroids. However, the equipment and calculations may need to be adjusted to account for the differences in distance and speed of sound in different environments.

5. Are there any limitations to using the pulse echo technique for measuring the distance of the Moon?

One limitation of the pulse echo technique is that it can only be used when the Moon is visible and within range of the equipment. This means that it is not possible to use this technique during cloudy or stormy weather, or when the Moon is on the opposite side of the Earth.