1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pulse pass medium 1 to medium 2 Problem

1. Jun 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A pulse of length 28.7 cm is transmitted from a thin rope to a thicker rope. If the thin rope has a linear density μ1 = 0.316 g/m and the thick rope has a linear density μ2 = 1.85 g/m what is the length of the pulse in the thicker rope?
    Thin_rope_thick_rope-1.jpg
    2. Relevant equations
    ##v=\sqrt{\frac{T}{μ}}##
    ##v =λf##
    3. The attempt at a solution
    λ1 = 57.4 cm
    ##λ1*f=\sqrt{\frac{T}{μ1}}##
    but i am not sure if the tension at thin rope same with the tension at thicker rope? could someone give me some ideals please? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2015 #2

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Suppose that the tension in the thin rope is higher than the tension in the thick rope. What will happen to the ropes?

4. Jun 2, 2015 #3
    I think if the tension in the thin rope is higher than the tension in the thick rope during the passing process, then the rope will accelerate? but in fact it doesn't? therefore tension in these two mediums is constant? is this correct?

5. Jun 2, 2015 #4

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

If you pull on one end of a rope, what will the tension be in the middle of the rope compared to the tension near the end you are pulling on?

Will it make any difference if the rope has different thicknesses?

6. Jun 2, 2015 #5
    Yes, I understand now, which means in any situation, if the ropes is at mechanical equilibrium, the tension in the rope is consistent no matter the properties of the rope. Thank you very much.

7. Jun 5, 2015 #6
    Could I ask how to calculate λ1 = 57.4cm?

8. Jun 7, 2015 #7
    pulse length = 28.7 cm = 1/2 wave length

9. Jun 4, 2016 #8
    Does the frequency change when the pulse passes to the denser medium? Why or why not, i dont really understand.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted