Pump and water storage system homework help

In summary, the task is to design a pump and water storage system that can be powered by a wind turbine to supply water to a community of 2000 people. The information needed includes the flow rate and power required for the pump, the average daily drinking water per person, the size and materials of the tank, and whether insulation is necessary. It is suggested to consider the average and maximum daily water requirements, the elevation change between the pump and tank, and the conditions of the community to determine the appropriate tank size and materials. Further research and consideration is needed to address other factors such as reserve water and contamination.
jamesdocherty
hi,

for a task at school i have to design a pump and water storage system that will be able to work with a wind turbine to supply water from a well to a small community of about 2000 people. i am having some trouble finding information regarding these topics:
-flow rate of pump
-power of pump required to push the water up to tank 10m above ground
- average daily drinking water per person
- size and materials of tank
- does the tank have to be insulated
- shape of the tank

how do i find any of this stuff out, what should the size of the tank so it can support 2000 people of drinking water, like should it be able to hold water for a day for each person or something, i am just really confused about how i should know any of this information,

any help suggesting points or websites would be highly appreciated,

Engineering news on Phys.org
What you'll need:

1) What is the amount of water you'll need to pump into the tower?
-Average daily requirement
-Max requirement (say, during the time of day that many people start drawing down the tower at once)
2) If the pump is submerged in the well, what is the total elevation change between the suction port and the inlet of the tank?

3) Insulation: Well, does it get hot there? Do they boil their water anyway?

The rest of the stuff is stuff you'll have to provide some work for...how much water is reasonable for a person to need in a day considering their conditions? What materials are better for storing potable water, or does it even matter in this case (i.e. is cost and ease of use more important than slight contamination)? How much reserve water is needed? etc.etc.

What is a pump and water storage system?

A pump and water storage system is a mechanism used to move and store water for various purposes such as irrigation, household use, and firefighting. It typically consists of a pump, which is responsible for moving water, and a storage tank or reservoir, where the water is stored until it is needed.

How does a pump and water storage system work?

A pump and water storage system works by using a pump to create pressure that pushes water from the source (such as a well or river) into the storage tank or reservoir. When water is needed, it is then pumped out of the tank or reservoir through pipes to the desired location.

What are the different types of pumps used in a pump and water storage system?

There are several types of pumps that can be used in a pump and water storage system, including centrifugal pumps, submersible pumps, and jet pumps. The type of pump used will depend on factors such as the depth of the water source and the amount of water needed to be moved.

What are the benefits of using a pump and water storage system?

Using a pump and water storage system can have many benefits, such as providing a consistent and reliable water supply, reducing water waste, and allowing for more efficient use of water for irrigation or household use. It can also be used as a backup system in case of emergencies or water shortages.

What factors should be considered when choosing a pump and water storage system?

When choosing a pump and water storage system, it is important to consider factors such as the water source, the amount of water needed, the type of pump and storage tank, and the overall cost and maintenance requirements. It is also important to consult a professional to ensure that the system is properly designed and installed for optimum performance.